Victorinox Swisstool Spirit: First Impressions

I just received a new Victorinox Swisstool Spirit I purchased from Dave Mackintosh, a great eBay seller:

http://stores.ebay.com/DaveMacks-Store

I've owned a Gerber multitool (model 600), a Leatherman PST, and a Leatherman Juice S2. At this time, I still own an original Wave, a new Wave, a Squirt P2, and a Supertool 200. I've also owned several SAKs over the years, so I was happy to finally be able to afford a Swisstool so I could compare Vic with LM.

I'm very pleased with the Spirit. The fit and finish are excellent, as with 99% of the Victorinox products I've seen. It's heavier than I expected -- heavier than the original Wave; about the same weight as the new Wave or my Buck 110 - probably about 1/2 a pound (250 grams) or so. Yet, when closed, it folds smaller than the old Wave.

Each tool is accessible when the pliers are closed. Also, sort of like the Supertool 200, each blade locks independently with what appears to be a modified lockback design. The tools open individually without bringing all the other tools in the handle with them (my one complaint about the old Wave). The ergonomics are excellent; when open, the pliers are more comfortable than any other multi I've ever handled. When closed, I worried the rounded "x" configuration would bother me or feel awkward, but I guess the tools are designed not to stick out at an angle (when open, the tools are not parallel to the grip). The individual tools, as per the Vic Web site, are listed below.

The only complaints I can muster are (1) don't care for the serrated blade (especially 'tip serrated') and (2) wish the metal file had a diamond coated side like the Wave, so I could hone my knife on it in an emergency. Still, I *do* carry another knife at all times, so I doubt the Spirit's knife will see much use except as a beater blade.

Considering this multitool was less than $55 including shipping, I think I got a great deal. I'll make it my EDC starting today and see how it holds up over time. However, it has such a good reputation here on the forums that I might have to get one of the larger Swisstools some day!

PS - I even like the leather sheath! (Nylon sheaths also available)

1. Needle nose pliers
2. Screwdriver (2 mm)
3. Screwdriver (3 mm)
4. Wire cutter(for wire up to a hardness of 40 hrc)
5. Bottle opener
6. Screwdriver (6 mm)
7. Crate opener
8. Combi-edge blade
9. Scissors
10. Metal file
11. Metal saw
12. Wood saw
13. Reamer
14. Phillips screwdriver
15. Chisel/scraper
16. Isolation length cutter
17. Wire bender
18. Wire stripper
19. Wire scraper/round cutter
20. Can opener
21. Multi-purpose hook
22. Nylon pouch
23. Coupling for corkscrew
24. Hard wire cutter
25. Lanyard hole
26. Ten individual springs
27. Lock release

i have the vic. swisstool spirit plus with rotating ratchet in leather sheath; a 2002/2003 leatherman wave with tool adapter in leather sheath and a vic swisstool X in leather sheath.

i prefer the spirit plus over the swisstool X because of the smaller size and lighter and nothing much can be say on the quality of both models of swisstool, however i am dissapointed with the wave

nitric said:
i have the vic. swisstool spirit plus with rotating ratchet in leather sheath; a 2002/2003 leatherman wave with tool adapter in leather sheath and a vic swisstool X in leather sheath.

i prefer the spirit plus over the swisstool X because of the smaller size and lighter and nothing much can be say on the quality of both models of swisstool, however i am dissapointed with the wave

Is it the utility of the Wave or the quality of its construction you find less than satisfactory? I have never owned one, although I do have the similar Charge. Just about my only gripe is the too little screwdriver which should have been an awl. Other than that, for my purposes I find it a good fit and it seems very well made. If I dare assume the Wave would be close in quality, how does it fail compared to the Swisstools?

Personally, I'll always have a soft spot for the old Wave. The ergonomics are not as good as the Spirit, but having four large tools (plain edge, serrated edge, file, and saw) easily accessible is nice (plus, they lock). I've heard of people SPLITTING WOOD by batoning the plain blade, so I know the average Wave is plenty tough.

In my mind, the new Wave improves upon the old Wave in several respects, but I also understand some folks have different needs the Waves don't meet. For example, I actually like the Waves' tiny screwdrivers because I and my family all wear glasses, so that little screwdriver sees a lot of use. Others might prefer an awl or some other tool in place of the small screwdriver.

Ah, for the day when we can custom-order specific tools on multis! :cool:

MG_Saldivar said:

Well, you can do that today. Sort of. Order a SOG and then order/make any additional tools you like. Of course, you cannot change out the pliers... :)

MG_Saldivar said:
In my mind, the new Wave improves upon the old Wave in several respects, but I also understand some folks have different needs the Waves don't meet. For example, I actually like the Waves' tiny screwdrivers because I and my family all wear glasses, so that little screwdriver sees a lot of use. Others might prefer an awl or some other tool in place of the small screwdriver.

It isn't that I don't sometimes need a small screwdriver. My problem with those on the Wave/Charge is that they don't seem to fit anything in my life. Although I wear specs and occasionally have need to tighten frame screws, the current small drivers are too tiny for even that. Rather than a useless implement, I would prefer an awl, even better along with drivers that actually fit something. I want it ALL :)

I have something want to ask victorinox... Which has the stronger pliers/tool? Swisstool or swisstool spirit?

I always think the original is stronger because of the size... But is there any official words about that?

ckl said:
I have something want to ask victorinox... Which has the stronger pliers/tool? Swisstool or swisstool spirit?

I always think the original is stronger because of the size... But is there any official words about that?

The latest versions of the full size Swisstools have the same style pliers as the Spirit only bigger
swisstoolpliers.jpg

The old style Swisstool is in the middle , Spirit on the right .Notice how the hinge on the older one is the other way round .
I have a Spirit as well as three Swisstools two of which have the newer pliers and the spirit has smaller pliers and a little flex in the handles so i would say imho that the larger swisstool (newer version ) is stronger .Ive yet to here of any one who has broken the pliers on one and would be very interested to here about it .

Duncan

well, maybe i am an unlucky owner of the wave. my wave wobbled when its folded and also in the pliers mode. and the worse part was that i never put my wave into heavy duty work.

meanwhile, swisstool X was another totally different story. Its construction is very firm. no wobble, and i used the wood saw to cut thru' a 4-6 inches tree trunk. Tiring arm but the tool is good enuf for me to saw thru' the whole trunk.

When comparing the Spirit to the Charge (at the store), one of the biggest reason I didn't buy the Spirit that that there was A LOT of wobble/play in the pliers. The Chrage felt a lot more robust. Could have just been the display model though, but still, not too impressive.

Will

Thanks for the detailed review. I look forward to hearing more as you get a chance to use the tool.

Three questions on the Spirit:

1. How are the handle ergonomics when using the tools? At 8 ounces, it's too heavy to put in a front pocket, so I don't understand why they made it only 3.25" long. With the thumb ramp, I'm guessing there is only room for three fingers on the handle. This is one I will definitely have to try in person before buying, if I can find one at a retailer.

2. The screwdrivers, especially the phillips head. Are they properly ground and hardened? Do they fit correctly into standard-sized screws? Or are they soft, polished, rounded, and slippery?

3. I cut a lot of zip ties and find that the small multitools (LM Micra, LM S4) work well, and that the large scissors on the V'nox Super Tinker do an adequate job also. What is the length of the cutting surface of the Spirit scissors when fully opened? And have you tried it with zip ties yet?

1) The closed Spirit is 4.1" long (not 3.25"), which makes for an excellent four-finger grip.

2) The screwdrivers do have the typical SAK polish, but they are not rounded or soft.

3) The Spirit scissors are quite short, but much stronger than typical multi-tool scissors. On the whole, I wish they were longer, but they do work quite well on zip-ties and other hard materials.

--Bob Q

I appreciate the info. Good to get the length issue cleared up. It's listed wrong on a lot of web sites as 3.25". The weight has also been wrong for months, at 5.75 ounces, although many places have corrected it now.

Victorinox must have released the specs early based on a smaller prototype, and everyone has been using the fouled up numbers. Or maybe it was a metric-to-English conversion error.

I am lucky enough to own a Spirit for a week via a passaround and I pretty much share your observations. However, my only peeve is the scissors. True, it looks innovative, the elimination of the spring is handy and overall it looks sturdy. One thing that ticked me off (mind you this is a major issue) IS THAT I CANNOT TRIM MY DAMN FINGERNAILS. :D

With my Huntsman and other scissor-equipped SAKs, even my Swisstool CS, they trim my nails with relative ease. The Spirit? Forget it. The jaws are too short and are misplaced. Victorinox, major flaw detected. :thumbdn: :D

well, bama, perhaps its kinda short jaw for a scissor but i dont use it for trimming nails. :)
its alright for me and no complain from me.

I've had a few Multitools (LM PST, Supertool, Wave and new Wave). I bought the Swisstool Spirit on a whim and it's certainly grown on me. I ground off the serrations on the knife and turned into a wicked straight razor. I've managed to do the full manicure (toenails and fingernails) with the scissors - although their main problem is not opening wide enough - resticted by the spring arm.

I have several guises (beachside living hippy, outback adventurer etc) and in my urbane business traveller guise, the spirit fits perfectly. It's my favourite ravelling companion.

Back