Video capturing

Nah, I'm not going to post the test videos I made because I've only been doing this for a few days and I'm rubbish ;).

This is a question. Why all the different formats for the videos? I know some people like the DivX codec, some Mpeg4, some Indeo5, etc, but it seems to create huge files that aren't needed.

Has anyone here tried .asf format? It's a windoze propriety format, but my 30fps, RGB24 colour, 320x240 vids are just under 20k per second of video, which is a lot better (smaller file size) than the others previously mentioned with no loss of quality.

Just like you said. You can only view them on windows. Errr windows. So people on irix, Mac, Os, and so on would have problems. Also just a standard. Why do some cars have 4 cyl engines other 5, 6, 8, 10, and so on?

Originally posted by Majparadox
Why do some cars have 4 cyl engines other 5, 6, 8, 10, and so on?

Don't forget the 3 cylinder engines :D Oh and also don't forget 3 chamber engines from the Wankle Rotary engine!;)

How bout them W 16's
Those are crazy.

shortgoth, after a lot of trial and error, I've found the best way to capture bali vids are with a program called "Virtual Dub". You can download it here. Try and get the vid on your computer in the highest possible quality, and then size it down from their. It seems MPEG4 (using avi) works very well. When you compress it, there's a slider that leans toward smoothness or crispness. Slide it toward smoothness. It turns out to be 1-2 megs/minute, with 28fps and a perfectly decent size. Good luck!

By the way, screw that windows proprietary bullsh*t. :D

What Dave said :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: .., he is our "Videographer" :)

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Back