Video How To: Alcohol burning cooking kit for cheap. Recipes also.

Hey,
I've been working on an ultralight outdoor cook kit that can be made for well under $15. It includes an alcohol burning stove. Everything including enough fuel for 2 meals weighs in at 12 ounces and you could drastically cut that weight if you wanted by using a different cooking vessel. I've got other options to take with me but I wanted to put something together that works to show that you don't have to spend a bunch of money to enjoy a meal outdoors.

I've also been working on a bunch of recipes that are tuned specifically to the kit. I've started a video series for all this. I hope you find this useful. Its been a ton of fun to make.

Episode 1 - Making the Kit

Episode 2 - Ramen Noodle and Vegetable Soup

Episode 3 - Blueberry Muffins

Episode 4 - Turkish Coffee

Episode 5 - Moroccan Couscous

More recipes on the way. I also take requests.

Thanks for the videos! I really liked the pop can stoves (made a few), but nowadays, I use Super Cat stove. I find it not only more simple to make and as efficient, but it is a little more robust, for no added weight. Been using mine quite a lot.

I especially liked your turkish coffee video; I'm gonna try it for sure. I've been experimenting cowboy coffee lately, but so far, I don't get very good results...merely OK coffee. Might be the grind size I used.

I'll post pictures of my kit when I have a chance. Thanks again man!

I'm going to make a Super Cat one of these days. They are supposed to be the cat's ass as they say. Turkish coffee is perfect for the outdoors. The grind is very fine and settles to the bottom of the cup. Plus it is usually extremely high quality, depending on your manufacturer. I've never had a bad cup and it tastes even better when outdoors.

I've modified my setup a little bit. It isn't a huge difference but I was having trouble with efficiency and burning my hand on the cup before. I think I've solved those problems.

[video=youtube;lXYLczOcRLo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXYLczOcRLo[/video]

Its like rice. It used to be made of millet up until about the early 1900's and then it was made of wheat. It tastes like a cross between rice and pasta but there really isn't a great way to describe it. Couscous is its own thing. I've never given it to someone who didn't love it though.

It looks pretty good especially with the veggies you put in there.

Do you dry them in a dehydrater or air dry them?

Thanks for the videos! I really liked the pop can stoves (made a few), but nowadays, I use Super Cat stove. I find it not only more simple to make and as efficient, but it is a little more robust, for no added weight. Been using mine quite a lot.

That's no joke - they are super simple to make! I can eat a can of tuna, rinse the can and then make the can into a supercat stove - less than 10 minutes from start to finish.

If you have one of these handy it really does make it WAY easier:
SingleHolePunch.jpg

Back