Recommendation? Viking Sword

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by DTOM 1776, Feb 16, 2020.

1. DTOM 1776

DTOM 1776 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2008
    I'm tired of waiting for Busse Combat to offer a Viking or Carolingian sword so I need some advice from people more knowledgeable than I am.

I'm not interested in a wall hanger / decorative sword.

I want a "real" sword that can be abused in thrusting and chopping action.

I'm ready to order one but haven't decided exactly how much I want to spend. Therefore, I'd like recommendations in two price ranges: $500 or less and $1000 or less.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  2. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Chopping? A real sword would never have been used to process wood.

If you are thinking about doing HEMA (historical European martial arts) or anything like that; I would suggest that you join the group first, play with their equipment, and only order your sword once you have a feel for the group’s requirements and your own preferences. Just because something resembles a sword doesn’t make it a sword, and even then it may not be the right size, weight or balance for you.

n2s

3. DTOM 1776

Feb 7, 2008
    I should of said "slashing" instead of "chopping".

This will be for my own enjoyment as I don't plan on any sort of HEMA or similar. My concern is I'll spend $500 on a sword that won't be durable if I decide to attack a bale of straw, haha.

4. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    IN the sub 500 dollar range I would suggest one of the offerings by museum replicas limited or one of the Del Tin versions through Kult of Athena. If I wanted something nicer I would take a look at Albion Sword's Viking Sword offerings. I think they have one or two that are less than a 1000 dollars.

5. DTOM 1776

Feb 7, 2008
    Thank you!

6. mross

mross

Nov 10, 2003
    Fully agree with these recommendations. Del Tin and Windlass make decent quality blades. They tend a bit to the heavier side but decent. If you want spot on perfect reproduction then Vince Evans is the man. He is a tad above the price point mentioned though.

7. SuburbanBarbarian

SuburbanBarbarian

Aug 12, 2018
    I've done stupid stuff with the Museum Replicas Uhlfbert (think I misspelled that) sword and haven't ruined it. Just remember that they ship em butter knife blunt unless you use the sharpening service.

8. DTOM 1776

Feb 7, 2008
    I’ve been reviewing the recommended options and am now thinking I may want two !

9. rpn

rpn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2008
    I know next to nothing about swords but seems to me that Zombie Tools produces rugged products.

BlackKnight86 likes this.
  10. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    There’s a guy on IG that makes them. I’m not a sword guy, but they look legit to me. Look up Gardiner Forge.

11. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    That is certainly true enough, and I admire ther creativity in making a business within a niche market within a niche market. I would note that their offerings do not necessarily fall within the parameters that the op set however. That is he is looking for a "Viking" style sword in the sub 500 and sub 1000 dollar range.