Vintage Puma Thread

Heirphoto

Gold Member
I see very little mention of Puma fixed blade knives. Way back in the 70s these were the first knives that really impressed me and still do today.

Here is my modest collection of users. White Hunter, Hunter's Friend and a Hunter's Pal. These are from 1971 and 1972 and use the older "Genuine Pumaster Steel" which I am told is some sort of high carbon steel with a plating to help prevent rust. Later they went to stainless steel, 440C I think. Most Puma knives came with a small "Rockwell" sticker pointing to the small divot left by the tester on every blade.

Anyone else here a Puma fan and want to share your pics? (Not sure if Puma locking folders would fall into the traditional category though)

IMG_7747.JPG IMG_7750.JPG IMG_7752.JPG IMG_7754.JPG

Nice group. I had both a White Hunter and a Bowie. The Pumaster carbon was a pleasure. They still make a good knife, it's just that their stag lacks the same degree of 'wow' today. I was unable to find a replacement at a reasonable price 50 years later so now I've got a stainless bowie. PhotoPictureResizer_181020_154614749-1024x769.jpg

I have two older Puma fixed blades, both in Pumaster steel:
Fx3Pdt6.jpg

I also have a 6025 in stainless that I bought in Gelsenkirchen in 1982, but I seem to be lacking a picture right now.

But if we include folders, I have a few, including these:
TGPWby6.jpg

hBMNN8s.jpg

TOks5X4.jpg

ZSQLIbd.jpg

How 'bout a couple of Puma Stockmen?

gBtONjF.png

ohXlVGH.png

Back in the 80s and early 90s there used to be a guy who stopped by every gun show table and asked if we had any Puma knives. The big folders and sheath knives came along every once in a while, but I never saw any slip joints. I picked these up today. Nice knives...

I love that stockman. It would be awesome to find another like it. What is the overall length on it?

It is 4" closed. The older stockman knives are much higher quality. Look for stag scales, the full blade etch, and regular nail nicks. The date code should be mid-90s or older. Every once in a while one pops up on the bay in almost new condition and they end up going for around $120 or so (there is one there now in mint condition from 1994, but they are asking an outrageous price).

I passed on a absolutely smoking deal on Craigslist on a white hunter last year, to be honest I didn't know much about Puma. About the time I thought I'd buy it just caus I liked the look of it it'd had sold. Then I did some research:eek::( they was askin $100, ad was one of those "selling a hunting knife that was my Dads, I don't hunt..." Kinda things

I'd been a Puma fan and collector until I was introduced to the custom knife world. Sold all of them for 10K and started buying customs. Now, 10 years later, I wish I had kept at least a couple of them... Great knives, specially vintage ones with sambar stag handles.

It is 4" closed. The older stockman knives are much higher quality. Look for stag scales, the full blade etch, and regular nail nicks. The date code should be mid-90s or older. Every once in a while one pops up on the bay in almost new condition and they end up going for around $120 or so (there is one there now in mint condition from 1994, but they are asking an outrageous price).

Here is a nice Stock Knife (that's what Puma chose to call them) with date code 1974. The "Pumaster-Steel" is high carbon.

1823_Puma_675_44074_34979-f-sm.jpg
1823_Puma_675_44074_34971-f-sm.jpg

Last edited:
Back