1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Vintager Chinese Kung-Fu axes, hatchets....put em' up!

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by gben, May 3, 2016.

1. gben

gben

Nov 26, 2014
    A ramshackle hatchet of Chinese origin tuned up for use this summer. It is definitely decades old, but who knows how old it is? I re-set the loose handle with some new wedge material, took off some burrs that had grown from it being used as a hammer, and gave it a dangerously sharp edge. Cutting edge of this hatchet is near file-hard! It had to be ground sharp with stones. The rest of it is tempered to be softer as it should be. It was two dollars at a local second-hand sale. It is going to be fun using it this season.

I have sent an image of this to a friend of mine in Taiwan to see if he can decipher the Chinese symbol. Notice the little picture of a knife or blade-tool next to the symbol, cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  2. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
  3. Liam Ryan

Liam Ryan

Sep 26, 2005
    It looks like a chicken head to me, probably beheaded more then a few of them in it's day.

4. gben

gben

Nov 26, 2014
    Thank-you Steve. I just got a message back from my friend in Taiwan that said the Chinese character does indeed say "deer". If he comes up with any information on this company I will certainly throw it up here.

5. gben

gben

Nov 26, 2014
    I liked what 300six said in another thread on this manufacturer:

A file does indeed skate on the cutting edge of the Deer hatchet, and although it has seen much use it is not cracked through the eye like a few Plumb axes/hatchets I have here. So it looks like a quality product and there is no reason to dismiss it just because it is from China.

6. rjdankert

rjdankert Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2011
    No reason I can find.

Bob

7. RICKOFF

RICKOFF

Jun 2, 2009
    Found this one last weekend only marking is 1 1/2 on bottom of poll, could be one of these or not.

P5050114.jpg P5050116.jpg

8. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    The "followed me home" thread has another head with 1 1/2 on the bottom of poll, with a diamond stamp and a ZH, Those diamond stamps are sometimes found with "Made in China" visible. "ZH" is a trademark of Suqian Zhenhao Tools and Hardware Co., Ltd., Jiangsu, China.

9. RICKOFF

RICKOFF

Jun 2, 2009
    Thanks, Steve was only 3 dolla and it looked OK. But looks more like the one that gben posted without the markings.

10. RICKOFF

RICKOFF

Jun 2, 2009
    I thought the haft that it came with was not original because the bit was mounted upside down and pulled it. Later I googled the haft part# and came up with this.
    HA50 lable.jpg HA50.JPG P5060127.jpg

Great Neck HA50 I'm going to try to use the haft again and see if it will make a good kindling hatchet. (Made in China)

Last edited: May 8, 2016