Vote: Which knife should I take elk hunting?

I'm loving that little razor knife.
It's such a handy game cleaning knife if you have some finesse. I have a buddy who can be a little tough on his knives when cleaning game and it took a few tries to get used to the replaceable blades.

Aside from times when I'm testing a knife out on a whole animal, I always use a replaceable blade knife like the Tyto (my favorite version). It helps save your other knife's edge when working on the hide, it's super light, easy to clean, and always scary sharp! :thumbsup:

I'm doing my final packing tonight for our departure tomorrow morning. Looks like the OS Lady will be my fixed blade partner for the next 9 days! I'll be sure to take some pictures to share with you guys. Hopefully with an elk!

Got a car full of coolers and gear, Ladyfinger included!

udZlGK7l.jpg

Stay hydrated, don’t forget bug repellant, have a great time, and good luck! Lady looks ready for an adventure....

It's such a handy game cleaning knife if you have some finesse. I have a buddy who can be a little tough on his knives when cleaning game and it took a few tries to get used to the replaceable blades.

Aside from times when I'm testing a knife out on a whole animal, I always use a replaceable blade knife like the Tyto (my favorite version). It helps save your other knife's edge when working on the hide, it's super light, easy to clean, and always scary sharp! :thumbsup:

I'm doing my final packing tonight for our departure tomorrow morning. Looks like the OS Lady will be my fixed blade partner for the next 9 days! I'll be sure to take some pictures to share with you guys. Hopefully with an elk!

Any big difference with it compared to using a normal size 4 scalpel handle and 22/23 or 36 sized blades? I use a scalpel with animals at work, but when working in the field I'm usually using a 4" blade (Lady, Recluse or Bushfinger) and working a bit faster ;)

Any big difference with it compared to using a normal size 4 scalpel handle and 22/23 or 36 sized blades? I use a scalpel with animals at work, but when working in the field I'm usually using a 4" blade (Lady, Recluse or Bushfinger) and working a bit faster ;)

I'm not super familiar with normal scalpels, but I assume it would be similar. I know some guys who use standard scalpels for big game. The blades that I normally use on these is called a 60xt.

We're back from the hunt! It was a very enjoyable, but mentally and physically tough experience. We were averaging about 10 miles a day, over 80 miles for the week. Hunting conditions were tough because the weather was warm and dry. The elk weren't too talkative and were hard to call in. Despite that we still have several opportunities, non of which lead to success. I held off on taking a shot at first light one morning because I wasn't completely comfortable with it and didn't want to injure and lose an animal. The next morning I misjudged my range and sent an arrow over the back of a young bull elk. We called the trip a day early because we were worn out!

At base came we had a bunch of awesome meals, though almost none of them required the use of my Ladyfinger. The grouse were also tough to find so I didn't get to put her to use on any game! Luckily I have 2 mule deer hunts I'm helping with, and a mule deer tag of my own to put some knives to use on! Here are a few pictures from the week. I learned a ton, and even though we didn't have the success we hoped for, it was an amazing trip and time spent with friends. The 11 month countdown begins until next archery season!

4:30am starts made for some stunning views after a 2-3 mile hike!
fEhBsFOl.jpg

The views didn't get any worse once the sun was up either, the aspens were really getting their fall colors by the end of the week. Notice where the Ladyfinger got to ride. :D
W91L0Drl.jpg

My Bowtech Realm X and Os Lady posing.
GYUkO2el.jpg

My favorite base camp meal was a killer brunch that we made after we called it early on a morning hunt and hiked out.
G4hJ0vRl.jpg

Spike camp among the dead fall. This was our last night, we decided to spike out to get a little extra sleep, save our legs a bit a walking, and be able to get into the prime spots before sunrise.
LDNa8ejl.jpg

We started applying the 'good luck face paint' for the second half of the trip. I'm not sure if this was a look of desperation, exhaustion, or joy... probably a bit of all of them. Until next year elk!
335QDybl.jpg

We're back from the hunt! It was a very enjoyable, but mentally and physically tough experience. We were averaging about 10 miles a day, over 80 miles for the week. Hunting conditions were tough because the weather was warm and dry. The elk weren't too talkative and were hard to call in. Despite that we still have several opportunities, non of which lead to success. I held off on taking a shot at first light one morning because I wasn't completely comfortable with it and didn't want to injure and lose an animal. The next morning I misjudged my range and sent an arrow over the back of a young bull elk. We called the trip a day early because we were worn out!

At base came we had a bunch of awesome meals, though almost none of them required the use of my Ladyfinger. The grouse were also tough to find so I didn't get to put her to use on any game! Luckily I have 2 mule deer hunts I'm helping with, and a mule deer tag of my own to put some knives to use on! Here are a few pictures from the week. I learned a ton, and even though we didn't have the success we hoped for, it was an amazing trip and time spent with friends. The 11 month countdown begins until next archery season!

4:30am starts made for some stunning views after a 2-3 mile hike!
fEhBsFOl.jpg

The views didn't get any worse once the sun was up either, the aspens were really getting their fall colors by the end of the week. Notice where the Ladyfinger got to ride. :D
W91L0Drl.jpg

My Bowtech Realm X and Os Lady posing.
GYUkO2el.jpg

My favorite base camp meal was a killer brunch that we made after we called it early on a morning hunt and hiked out.
G4hJ0vRl.jpg

Spike camp among the dead fall. This was our last night, we decided to spike out to get a little extra sleep, save our legs a bit a walking, and be able to get into the prime spots before sunrise.
LDNa8ejl.jpg

We started applying the 'good luck face paint' for the second half of the trip. I'm not sure if this was a look of desperation, exhaustion, or joy... probably a bit of all of them. Until next year elk!
335QDybl.jpg

Looks like it was epic. Sometimes the experience is more important than the meat :D

Maybe I'll bring a titanium scalpel handle with some blades next time I go out ;)

Looks like it was epic. Sometimes the experience is more important than the meat :D

Maybe I'll bring a titanium scalpel handle with some blades next time I go out ;)

Epic indeed! I wholeheartedly agree, the meat is always an extra benefit. It's nice to fill the freezer, but I wouldn't take it over the hard work, mental and physical challenge, experiences, and being away from everything. The mind slows down, and becomes very focused on the task at hand. It's cool to notice your senses switch from every day mode, into hunting mode. I could kill an animal every year if I wanted to, but that's not entirely what it's about.

You might just be converted to the scalpel-life! I'm not skilled enough to get my fixed blades that sharp, it sure makes a lot of the cleaning process really easy!

Epic indeed! I wholeheartedly agree, the meat is always an extra benefit. It's nice to fill the freezer, but I wouldn't take it over the hard work, mental and physical challenge, experiences, and being away from everything. The mind slows down, and becomes very focused on the task at hand. It's cool to notice your senses switch from every day mode, into hunting mode. I could kill an animal every year if I wanted to, but that's not entirely what it's about.

You might just be converted to the scalpel-life! I'm not skilled enough to get my fixed blades that sharp, it sure makes a lot of the cleaning process really easy!

Usually not an issue getting the Lady that sharp, but a that thin edge isn't always durable enough for general use. I often sharpen my scalpels at work ;)

Going up in the mountains next week, but just for some days of hiking, getting the cabin ready for winter and doing some work in the forest to ensure the family has firewood for next winter.

It's cool to notice your senses switch from every day mode, into hunting mode. I could kill an animal every year if I wanted to, but that's not entirely what it's about.

Thank you for this statement. I believe in this philosophy as well, and it shows your respect for nature and her beautiful animals, which in turn, makes you a true outdoorsman, not simply a hunter. This mentality has served me well, and I’ve never finished a hunt feeling defeated or unsuccessful. Gaining a true appreciation for the wildlife and nature is what it’s all about, and I think you can call this one a success!

Thank you for this statement. I believe in this philosophy as well, and it shows your respect for nature and her beautiful animals, which in turn, makes you a true outdoorsman, not simply a hunter. This mentality has served me well, and I’ve never finished a hunt feeling defeated or unsuccessful. Gaining a true appreciation for the wildlife and nature is what it’s all about, and I think you can call this one a success!
Absolutely! Respect and appreciation for nature, for wildlife, and wild places. I've been through plenty of hunts that didn't end up with a filled tag but definitely ended with a ton of fulfillment. Whether from bonding with friends, appreciating the experience, getting whipped by the wilds, or just enjoying my time! Every time I'm on these adventures I'm enjoying my time, appreciating that I'm able to be there and take it all in.

Back