Voyagers Vaquero vs clip point vs tanto

I love all 3 blade shapes,but What are pros and cons of these blades .My favorite is Vaquero blade shape,and tested it on various materials.Cuts and penetrates really well.All opinions welcome!

Love the vaquero serrated, but I tend to carry the Clip Point more often, I find it more versatile all around.

_3%209_zps3vfg69p6.jpg

20150830_162435_zpsc1gvt4mj.jpg

20150730_192312_zpsrt3w3yk4.jpg

Anyway, I think many people don't realise the usefulness of the Vaquero profile, and many think that it is a defense/offense blade style not suitable for EDC and other tasks. True, Clip Point is well known for its versatility...

20150730_190956_zpsy1jak4dw.jpg

... but I bet most of them have never tried a blade of this type (not this size, this type), I find it really useful and versatile.

20150725_092326_zpsddahbn1h.jpg

The Vaquero Grande is really scary, though, and I find it only really appropiate for self defense. Not actually using it, just showing it, should be enough to scare the hell out of anyone. Jeez, it truly is the devil's folder :D

20150725_092439_zpsjjzdrlrn.jpg

20150725_092320_zpsbw8vryf7.jpg

I don't carry tantos very often, I don't like them aesthetically and find they are not as useful as the other two.
However, I really like my Gunsite because of its low weight, low profile but large size, strong lock design. It really is an excellent heavy duty folder, that withstands prying, gardening chores, tough material cutting, etc.

20150904_101606_zpszh1hdekf.jpg

Never tried the Voyager Tanto, though, I find it ugly as hell. Really dig the looks of my gunsite! But the Clip Point Voyager is definitely more versatile and multipurpose... :thumbup:

20150902_140930_zpsp4vjrzfd.jpg

20150902_085707_Burst01_zpst4gvzdh1.jpg

Great thread you've started! Hope it keeps going...pics included!

I own voyager xl in vg1 clip point, serrated,and its excellent blade, but the one I use more is El Hombre 4 inch made in Japan plain edge.Used and abused it and still carry it, never let me down!Lockup is really good, and it holds edge well too!I have used Vaquero type blade for everything,including food prep! Never had any problems,it cuts extremely well,especially soft materials!

I have an old serrated Vaquero Grande, got it about 20 years ago. It has been a great all-around knife, and it is one of the first things I will stick in a pocket for a hike where I don't want a fixed blade. It does everything I ask of it but the thing that I find really amusing is that it is the best tool for trimming insulation batting in the attic. The S-curve and serrations cut the fiberglass without crushing it at all.

I like the XL Tanto because it's basically a folding version of their Kobun fixed blade. I'm a fan of americanized tantos anyway, just because of how versatile a straight edge is. Also, tri-ad lock knives are some of the only knives I feel safe stabbing into dense materials with. The clip point is a little more broadly applicable, and the vaquero really seems oriented towards self-defense or cutting fibrous material. A ghetto-waved XL Vaquero is going to be, in my eyes, just as -if not more - effective in a combat situation as a Spyderco Matriarch. Also, that blade shape is great if you work around a lot of rope that needs to be cut. That recurve really snags, and a serrated edge with fly through it like nothing.

For utility, I always like tantos. For those that like more belly to the blade, the clip point is very nice indeed.

I don't carry tantos very often, I don't like them aesthetically and find they are not as useful as the other two.
However, I really like my Gunsite because of its low weight, low profile but large size, strong lock design. It really is an excellent heavy duty folder, that withstands prying, gardening chores, tough material cutting, etc.

I used to be opposed to Tanto folders too. Carried that bias nearly all my life until recently. TBH, I think it had to do with the lessons in cutlery I received early in my formative years. To me, the benchmark always came back to how well the knife could dress game (this is how I was taught). This was semi subconsciously, as I always had the thought, even if I never intended the knife to be used as a Hunter.

By chance, I came across a used Recon 1 Tanto on the exchange for dirt cheap, so.I bought it thinking "what the hell".

It is, one of the best utility knives I have ever used. Not really a knife to fondle, and appreciate aesthetically, but more of a knife to use, and use hard. The 2nd edge " kissaki" I guess it is called, is useful as hell. Pinch it between your thumb and second knuckle of your index finger, and you can us it like a box cutter, control the depth of the knife as it slices through. That and the tip is a beefy as they come-far less prone to snapping off.

I have 2 of the old Vaquero Grande . One came with a nylon sheath for belt carry Other has pocket clip. I carry my X2 Voyager every where I go. I also bought a new voyager XL with plain edge I don't like way fits my hand and put back in the Box Put my X2 back in pocket. I am not a fan of the CS serrated edge doesn't stand up to hard use. I had mine made into a plain edge . Was a pain to sharpen. I carried that knife many many years. One day the plastic pocket clip broke . My youngest daughter carries in her purse now. Was a 5" Voyager . I been buying and using CS folders and fix blades since the mid 80's Guess my run is about over. I loved the voyager . I have no love for the new models and now with the new yuppy approved steel . CS is moving out of my price range. I will buy used ones off e bay or where ever I can find.
My trail master has given good service My Laredo is nice as is my other fix blades. They cut what I want and sharpen easy . My must used CS is my Kudu In kitchen or at table cutting steak Opening 50 lb bags of dog food . Does it all and a quick touch up now and then ready for more.

I really like the Vaquero blade shape. I've got the Vaquero Grande [with kydex sheath] , the old 5" VG 1 Vaquero and the new XL Vaquero. I also have 3 Desperados which have the same blade shape. I like Tantos as well and I have the Voyager XL Tanto as well as the Recon XL Tanto. Much as I like most CS knives I hate the shape of the Voyager clip-points so I get to save some money there.

Just got this little guy in the mail today...
I friggin' love it!

20150917_190903_zpsocbzc2qk.jpg

20150917_182005_zpsnu2ya2eo.jpg

I needed it to compliment my plain edged version. I really love the looks of these knives, and all their characteristics way more than the newer Voyager series.

20150830_162358_zps3jm3fcty.jpg

20150723_192306_zps0sflmkmm.jpg

20150917_183539_zpsjtnzoruj.jpg

20150917_183416_zpslffjklij.jpg

Why'd they discontinue them, heck?! They feel nicer in the pocket than the new ones, IMO.

20150917_182400_zpsp8na5yyo.jpg

20150830_162422_zpsdohpu7tn.jpg

20150730_190842_zpstf1tt3bk.jpg

I used to be opposed to Tanto folders too. Carried that bias nearly all my life until recently. TBH, I think it had to do with the lessons in cutlery I received early in my formative years. To me, the benchmark always came back to how well the knife could dress game (this is how I was taught). This was semi subconsciously, as I always had the thought, even if I never intended the knife to be used as a Hunter.

By chance, I came across a used Recon 1 Tanto on the exchange for dirt cheap, so.I bought it thinking "what the hell".

It is, one of the best utility knives I have ever used. Not really a knife to fondle, and appreciate aesthetically, but more of a knife to use, and use hard. The 2nd edge " kissaki" I guess it is called, is useful as hell. Pinch it between your thumb and second knuckle of your index finger, and you can us it like a box cutter, control the depth of the knife as it slices through. That and the tip is a beefy as they come-far less prone to snapping off.

Exactly why I like that tip style for outdoor uses, prying off tree sap etc. Tougher tip.

Back