Vtac?

I am thinking about getting a VTAC and have several questions, so be patient with me. What makes the VTAC so good? How is the head secured to the handle? My CS annoys me, because it seems like it is always a little loose. I like the design, but prefer the design of the CQC-T (more traditional hawk). But the price is way out of my league. I am no longer in the military, so this hawk would just be for fun/outdoors. I kind of prefer the a longer handle as well. How much difference is the VTAC over the Cold Steel vietnam hawk? I know the quality is way better, but I'm trying to see if it's worth the cost. Right now I only have a CS norse hawk. I appreciate any info.

Also, it terms of a combat weapon, shouldn't the handle be a little longer? It seems like most of the .mil people here like it as a breaching tool.

Let me save you the trouble of reading any post Reconseed will make on this thread, he will say something along the lines of the following:

“OMG! The VTAC is the best thing ever! It’s so cool! I woke up yesterday, and my VTAC had made me breakfast in bed!”

If American marriage law were a little more lenient, I’m sure he would be posting photos of him and his VTAC on their honeymoon in Cancun.

(NOTE TO RECONSEED: The above statement was made in jest, I’m just hacking on you a bit. You seem to have a good sense of humor and I thought it would be okay to poke a little fun. If I’ve gone too far let me know and I’ll edit this post and apologize.)

All joking aside, no one has had anything bad to say about a VTAC. It is, however, defiantly designed as a person killing tool. If you are looking for something that’s cool and fun, but not necessarily tailor made for outdoor work, you would be hard pressed to find a better hawk than a VTAC. However, if you are looking for a serious outdoor tool, with a specific outdoor application in mind, you may wish to look into something designed more specifically along those lines.

The big strengths of the VTAC, in my opinion, are that it is based on a time tested and proven design and made with quality material and craftsmanship. The head won’t slip. It’s stuck on much better than any of the CS hawks. The quality vs. cost argument depends entirely on what you plan on using it for.

And, as far as handle length goes, no, I don’t think it should be longer. Let me qualify that statement by pointing out that I am not a martial artist or some melee combat God, but I did spend about a year and a half fighting in cities and houses in Iraq. Anything much longer than a VTAC will just get hung up on things when you are trying to use it. The handle length looks like an optimal balance between leverage and size.

Once again, this entire post is my opinion only, and your mileage may vary.

If you want to have some fun with one that will hold up get the VTAC.
I throw it, take it hunting, fishing use them around the yard etc. etc.
Great Item !!!

I believe there is a thread around here started by hollowdweller about using the VTAC for outdoors projects. It might be in the Wilderness and Survival section under Training. He really put it through the ringer, and finally decided that it would be great as long as one was willing to reprofile the edge so it is more suitable for woodworking instead of breaching. I'll see if I can't locate it.

Let me save you the trouble of reading any post Reconseed will make on this thread, he will say something along the lines of the following:

“OMG! The VTAC is the best thing ever! It’s so cool! I woke up yesterday, and my VTAC had made me breakfast in bed!”

If American marriage law were a little more lenient, I’m sure he would be posting photos of him and his VTAC on their honeymoon in Cancun.

(NOTE TO RECONSEED: The above statement was made in jest, I’m just hacking on you a bit. You seem to have a good sense of humor and I thought it would be okay to poke a little fun. If I’ve gone too far let me know and I’ll edit this post and apologize.)

Once again, this entire post is my opinion only, and your mileage may vary.

Recon is a good Joe and I'm sure he expects a little ribbing about his enthusiasm for the VTAC.

I can't say that I am enamored with mine as much as Recon but it's with me whenever I'm on the road and in the field. I still prefer a hatchet for chopping wood but the VTAC can take a beating when it comes to tearing something apart.

Speaking of Reconseed? I thought you'd be the first repy to this topic....

Fellas, excuse my UNEXPECTED ABSENCE ;) on this thread. Been busy with school and the battalion. We had the A-Sun Track and Field championsips here this past week and we (ROTC) had to work it. I got to shovel long jump sand pits for a week! (side note: track and field girls are the hottest, i have come to believe this without a doubt) SO, thats why you guys are right and I wasnt the first to tackle this thread.

ahhh, the VTAC. (you guys know its coming so grab some coffee or a cigarette)

I have two. I havent hacked anyone with it like you might want to hear, in Iraq or clearing a building, but I have used them on a few hiking trips. They are about the toughest edged tool/weapon I have seen. Best buck thirty you will spend on a hard use edged tool. If and when I get deployed, you can be sure I am taking the two i have (giving one to my platoon sgt. whomever he may be), and hopefully I wont ever have to use them and they can stay in the HUMVEE. :) But its nice to know if you had to call on them to stand-to, they would do so 110% of the time. Buy one! or Two. Support Andy and ATC because they make great products and SUPPORT OUR MILITARY! Whats not to like? :)

As for the Tomahawk Marriage.... (whew, here goes)

though I am a staunch supporter of ATC, I think since I am even a more staunch OPPONENT to gay marriage, I will align my tomahawk and marrying it to my extreme angst for gay marriage. I will settle for a lovely female. But I can take my VTAC to the ceremony right? ;)

(dont mind a bit willie or hatchet. you fellas are good folk. Whats life without a little joshin')

Back