Vulkanus?

Want to know if that new Boker sharpener is as good as advertised, already have 2 lansky kits, and a Sharpmaker with ultrafine and diamond rods. The Vulkanus looks like it would be good, all-in-one kind of unit, how good of a job does it do and how quickly? Thanks.

Aloha Spydiefan04!

I have one coming in soon from Boker...I'll let ya know how it works if Terry doesn't beat me to it! :D

God bless :thumbup:

Aloha!

Just got my Vulkanus sharpener today. Not the SS one...will test tomorrow!

God bless!

Hey bud,

Still waiting for that review, I'm interested, please let us know what ya think of it.

Spydiefan04 said:
Hey bud,

Still waiting for that review, I'm interested, please let us know what ya think of it.

Aloha Spydiefan04,

Sorry so late...I haven't really been able to try it out to give it a fair review. It did however sharpen the heck outta one of my kitchen knives! Gotta be careful with the pressure being applied on this unit. Metal shavings from said kitchen knife were all over the base!:eek:

I also tested it out on my BM CE551...it did hit the SE portion, but like I said, watch the pressure applied. The Vulkanus is spring loaded, so it "meets" the actual edge of the knife being sharpened.

I could not get a laser sharp edge on my two knives tested, but it does give a good working edge. Perhaps I just need to get used to this device. Consider this review a bit premature for now...:eek:

God bless:cool:

Thanks, looks promising. I'm not big of mirror polished edges myself I prefer a working edge, usually use the medium rods of sharpmaker, curious how this boker and it compare. I'm looking forward to a long term review after you've gained some more experience with it.

Spydiefan04 said:
Thanks, looks promising. I'm not big of mirror polished edges myself I prefer a working edge, usually use the medium rods of sharpmaker, curious how this boker and it compare. I'm looking forward to a long term review after you've gained some more experience with it.

Roger that Spydiefan04...

My apologies regarding my review. Hard to explain in writing this Vulkanus. I do suggest you make it over to BokerUSA.com and watch the video they have of the Vulkanus in action on several knives...

God bless and take care:cool:

I'd like to bump this thread. I'm always interested in sharpening devices, though I know you guys aren't ;)

yam said:
I'd like to bump this thread. I'm always interested in sharpening devices, though I know you guys aren't ;)

Aloha yam,

LOL, what do you mean? My favorite sharpening devices are the Spyderco 701 set! :)

The Vulkanus works...it just as with all sharpening systems, takes some practice getting it right. Does a heck of a job on the kitchen knives though! :D

God bless and how is that SF holding up?:thumbup:

Hi ya Daywalker!

The SF is holding up great. In fact it just cut some 4" black, flexible, ribbed tubing a couple of days ago. Did a nice job and only needed a light touchup on my small ceramic stone. Not sure why there's so much fuss over the steel being used, 420J as opposed to AUS8. Don't know which I have, but it seems to be working out fine and dandy for me.

yam said:
Hi ya Daywalker!

The SF is holding up great. In fact it just cut some 4" black, flexible, ribbed tubing a couple of days ago. Did a nice job and only needed a light touchup on my small ceramic stone. Not sure why there's so much fuss over the steel being used, 420J as opposed to AUS8. Don't know which I have, but it seems to be working out fine and dandy for me.

Aloha yam!

Thanks for the feedback! Be advised, sometimes a stropping is all it needs to bring her back...:thumbup:

The steel issue...well, I do know you have a 420J2 version, but still, even though it IS that particular steel, it cuts great don't it?!! Kinda surprising me on a daily basis. However...

AUS8 and a longer clip will be issued on the next run. I am glad that the SF is serving you well.

God bless and take care:thumbup:

Back