Wahl Senior clipper - really good

I recently got the Wahl Senior clippers in the aniversary packaging so it had all the guards and a bunch of other stuff.

The new guards weren't really needed since the ones from the clippers that died fit.

This clipper is a great value at $66 delivered. Wal-mart was $30 for set that lasted about 2 years. The difference in power is amazing. It is a smooth running clipper too - none of the buzz and vibration I had with the old cheap clippers.

If you want a superior clipper at a reasonable price - Wahl Senior is the way to go.

Do you cut your own hair with them :eek: ?

I always wanted to do this but have held off due to my desire to not want to look like more of a donkey than I already do. However, the state of my (lack of) hair leaves little room for more humiliation :) .

During a recent, commercial & wet, jetboat thrill ride on the mighty Willamette River I joked that I would need my hair restyled. A comedian behind me shouted "which one!" :rolleyes:

What is your technique or guide if you do cut it yourself? Perhaps you are lucky enough to have a volunteer with some skill to do the deed.

Thanks for the tip on the trimmer.

Best,

oregon

oregon said:
Do you cut your own hair with them :eek: ?

Yes I do. It really isn't that hard since I cut everything with the same size guard, generally I go for 1/4 inch but, in the winter I go longer. Trimming around my ears and the back of my neck is the hard part but, practice helps. The taper in back in a mirror is hard at first because all the movements are backwards. Around the ears just takes patience with a pair of good scissors.

What is your technique or guide if you do cut it yourself? Perhaps you are lucky enough to have a volunteer with some skill to do the deed.

I wish I had a wife or girlfriend to help with the haircuts but, no such luck for me at the present time. With the receding hairline, a simple short cut works best keeps me from looking older then I really am. I have done simple "crew" cuts in the past too. All it takes is some practice and you can become pretty good. Of course I am pretty picky and careful in the beginning and, I can always shave it off if I screw up and try again in a couple of weeks ... :foot:

I cut my own hair, and the rest of the family too. I finaly got some help with my ears, you can do it yourself, but the result is better when someone else does the ears.

I can shave the hair on the back of my neck, by feel, with my straight razor. I switch hands depending on the side. I hope that qualifies as a reasonable stunt. Actually quite easy.

Thanks for the encouragement. I thought this thread was dead.

How about pics of the tools/results?

All the best,

oregon

I'm not sure anyone would be encouraged by my "look", though the haircut is just fine really.

It works like this for me at 46. If I was still working as v.p. finance and wearing a tailored suit every day. I would have to go to my regular barber in Toronto. He cuts with scissors only, and the result looks like something that clippers couldn't do but as a balding guy with short hair, that difference is subttle. If you have brad pitt hair or something, then only the buzz cut would be home doable at home, he has dozens of styling options.

I live, however, in the suburbs and now work out of my house. If I go to a local place, they do a cut that is 80% clippers, and 20% detailed. It depends on who I get as to whether the hair looks better given their "Interpretation" etc... However, by the end of say day two, post pro cut in the suburbs, Nobody will tell the difference. I vary the length between 1/4, but mostly,1/2" The back gets cut square, the ears get cut to the profile of the ears. The ears are then thinned by using a comb to tilt the hair up and trim it with the bare wahl clippers. It''s easy, and it looks really neat. If you kept on top of it, vs say letting your barber at it less often than you should, your overall look would be better.

I use a pair of shears I picked up for about 50 bucks seems to work on everyone. I have a simple wahl clipper for detailing, and an Oster that is 110 only with plastic guides. At some point when I am in the big city, I'm going to get the kind of clippers with metal guides the barbers use

The thing with clippers is they will eventually get everything the same length, but you may miss a few spots. Just keep cutting. You can't make it look real bad, but you need a strategy for the edges. When I did it all myself, I cut everything to a given length, then I use the right side taper around the right ear, and the left for the left ear. I could go out in public, but not as good as some handwork.

Back