walking with SRK in the Boreal forest

wild Pin cherries were ripe and tart/sweet.

Forest moss was a little dry

Cranberries aren't ready yet.

Saskatoons (called service berries in U.S. I believe), were just starting to dry out

Rose Hips were unripe, usually sweeten (barely) after the first frost. Huge vitamin C content per volume.

Choke cherries are ripe, eat too many of these and you won't crap for a week, lol

The blueberries were ripe and sweet.

The thick Birch used for canoes, I had no time to find the paper Birch that lights so easily. I still have stashes somewhere from last year.

As a side note I water metal detected a lake twice and got 9 rings up there, two gold, 10k and 14 k

nice. thanks for sharing looks like it was a good time and some nice finds there.

Great fun post, upnorth! Thank you for sharing this! I'd be interested in seeing some of your more interesting metal detection finds. Ever find any knives?

-Steve

Great fun post, upnorth! Thank you for sharing this! I'd be interested in seeing some of your more interesting metal detection finds. Ever find any knives?

-Steve

When I find modern knives they are usually junkers and rusted into a lump. I have found many nice old folders, but they are beyond saving. On the other end of the spectrum I have found fur trade knives from the late 1700's. I'll dig up some find pics of items before cleaning and preservation.

The stuff is endless and goes everywhere, relics, coins, fur trade silver etc.

Gold chain from lake last fall

Here are a few of the old bottles that I also grab on my romps. I'm also into any old marbles that I come across.

I still come across buffalo bones in creek wash outs

Back