Wallet alternatives?

I'm in my mid-40's and have carried the traditional bi-fold or tri-fold leather wallet since I was a teenager. I recently started wearing cargo pants due to some job and lifestyle requirements. I also CCW and would like to pocket carry regularly again.

I looked at those super slim wallets that have a money clip on them, but not sure that is for me. I have way too much stuff in my wallet so as it is. I want to get away from having a thick wallet in my back pocket. Getting tired on sitting on it.

Any ideas or recommendations?

I have a couple of minimalist billfolds (when I'm bored I alternate), and use a money clip for cash. The billfolds hold at least 6 credit cards, ID, and I keep CC receipts in it so the wife can do our bills.

Because they are smaller than normal, I wear in my front pocket. They don't wear as much and pickpockets won't get them.

Ignore the other stuff. This is an Alligator minimalist, that I got from eBay like2 yrs ago. 10 years ago a genuine Alligator billfold of any size would cost like 500 bucks, but now that farming Alligator is legal, they are MUCH more affordable. I paid like $60 on eBay, and the quality is really good. There are good ones made in Vietnam, too. Just search on minimalist & billfold and see if you like anything.

You can uses a large paperclip for a money clip although mine are more expensive.
IMG_3552.JPG

These are pretty great. It’s a slim swaddle wallet made by Willow. Has everything you need, nothing you don’t, and takes up no room.

1691703670164.jpeg

7C5h0mG.jpg

Perhaps not for you but if you have some leisure time and want to wear light pants with minimal pocket space: alpaka zip wallet. I have carried one for this summer and it allows me to carry little nick nacks in the sidepouch (classic sd, tick prongs, etc) and comb in the main pouch. Main section also has divider that divides your most useful card from the random clutter.

I had the same problem and decided to stop carrying too many cards, while switching from back pocket to front pocket. I bought a Lost Dutchman “finnegan” wallet off his Instagram shop in 2020 and have used it ever since. Upside is you can pick the color of the leather and thread (if you care). Downside is you have to wait if you custom order. But sometimes he has them ready made. It holds about 7 credit cards and a bit of rolled up cash. Mine is holding up nicely after three years of use.

Attachments

• IMG_4346.jpeg
    IMG_4346.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4347.jpeg
    IMG_4347.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4348.png
    IMG_4348.png
    334.5 KB · Views: 12
7C5h0mG.jpg

Perhaps not for you but if you have some leisure time and want to wear light pants with minimal pocket space: alpaka zip wallet. I have carried one for this summer and it allows me to carry little nick nacks in the sidepouch (classic sd, tick prongs, etc) and comb in the main pouch. Main section also has divider that divides your most useful card from the random clutter.

I could see that being pretty handy.

I quit carrying all the unneeded crap many years ago. I just carried my DL, CCW, Two debit cards and my insurance card. I worked as a lineman in the South Texas heat and a leather wallet of any sort just didn't cut it. I tried the Recycled Firefighter versions, but never really liked them. Tried all the others like Ridge and others of that style. Didn't care for them either. Trayvax Summit was a daily carry for a long while. Then I picked up one of these DM1 wallets https://decadentminimalist.com/ . It was great! I later picked up an ANSO Matrix and have never looked back. Front left pocket or side pocket of cargo shorts. I have five cards in it along with a credit card sized carbon fiber card on the outer sides. Keep your eyes open, they pop up now and then on the secondary for less than retail.

BTW, I'm 62 and now retired..

M3FxRM5m.jpg

Old photos of Trayvax Summit
5VatgAtm.jpg

and DM1
sYu05lfm.jpg

I've used a few card sleeves like this and if you can stop carrying all your credit cards and stamp cards it will work great.

For a long time I've used a cigarette case and a Victorinox money clip.
The cigarette case makes me limit what cards I carry. Turns out I didn't need that thick wallet.
As a money clip, the Victorinox is mediocre. It could stand to be wider. But it's an Alox Ambassador that's been flattened. That is, it's a 75mm Vic with scissors, knife and file.

Not a wallet alternative, but an alternative wallet, check out the Allet bifold. Made from super thin and strong ripstop sailcloth, it's barely thicker than the cards and cash you put in it. I've been carrying one for years now.

Like the allet, I've had a Wa-Ben for a long time and it's gone really well. some of the sailcloths don't wear as well as leather, but plus or minus a decade, who cares? Also, consider breaking it up? I started doing a card-slip and leaving my main wallet in my backpack (yeah, I'm a that guy) but no reason why a cash wallet in one pocket and a card wallet in another wouldn't make things better. I did it while traveling to keep things a bit broken up, since we were in a few currencies, and just had a couple clips for the odd cash. worked out quite well as to what got left in the suitcase on a given day.

Back