• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Walnut Santoku! San Mai! (SOLD)

A few years ago I made my wife a santoku just about like this one, and she absolutely loves that thing. Not that she would be biased or preferential, ya think? I must admit, it is a pretty cool knife. Hers is actually AEB-L and Walnut. This one....I have made to offer YOU. It is made using the san mai construction method of forging a "sandwich", so to speak, with different steels. Bill Burke (yeah.....THAT guy....not to name drop or anything) was gracious enough to offer a number billets he had forged out, and I was lucky to score a few. This particular blade is made with a core of V-Toku 2 carbon steel, with a jacket of stainless steel 416 (if I remember correctly). V-Toku 2 has basically the same composition of Blue 2, but instead of using Japanese iron ore, Swedish iron ore is used, with added Nickel and Vanadium. Excellent balance of wear resistance and toughness in a carbon steel. The handle is walnut, sporting a subtle "D" profile, with a flat/satin Danish and TruOil finish, topped with a few coats of wax. I always look forward to the sharpening session when a knife is completed....this one did not disappoint! Now for some specs:

OAL: 10.5"
Blade: 5.5"
Cutting Edge: 5.3"
Blade Thickness: .105"
Edge Angle: ~28° inclusive, 3 micron water stone
Steel: Takefu V-Toku2 core, approx 63-64HRC

Let me mention about the geometry of this knife. I am a firm believer of thin profiles with knives such as this one...let me say mission accomplished. Veggies, fajitas, salmon, fingers.....beware!

FullSizeRender1_zpsdqzy77lz.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpschy7mr61.jpg

This knife is, for sure, to be a great addition to your kitchen cutlery. It is our "go to" knife, and an absolute joy to use. You're gonna love it!​

Asking SOLD, and this will include FREE shipping to your location in the lower 48 states. If you live elsewhere, just simply contact me and we will figure the shipping in. The knife will include an edge protector, a sturdy plastic guard that is lined with red felt. Paypal preferred, address is samuraistuart@yahoo.com. Thank you very much for your interest. Please check out my Facebook page, "Stuart Davenport Knives", for photos of past work. Feel free to PM me, email me, text me, or call me for any questions about this knife, or a future project!

samuraistuart@yahoo.com

Last edited:
That is a well crafted and beautiful food processor right there, my compliments.

Thanks so much guys! I can't believe I forgot to include the HRC numbers when I posted this yesterday. :eek: Edited and updated.

Back