• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Want a custom Kydex sheath for my new Spyderco Swick 5, serrated blade

I finally received a pair of serrated blade SPYDERCO Swick 5 knives. I only ordered them 2 or 3 years ago. It’s been so long , I forgot the exact date and year.

What a great knife ! But , IMO the accompanying Boltaron sheaths are, at best, subpar. They are ridiculously tight and oversized, in a hard to pocket triangular shape. No possibility of thumbing off the sheath if carried in pocket. They hold the blades so tight, I think a quick draw, with a bit of snap to it, will break the provided ball chain, for optional neck carry.

Although they are credited by Spyderco as partially inspired by Fred Perin’s LaGriffe series of forefinger ring blades , as well as Mike Janich’s Wharncliffe blade form, they should have copied Perrin’s superb, minimalist rectangular La Griffe sheath, which can be easily thumbed free and yet holds the knife securely. I’d also add a bottom short elastic strap attached to a garter belt clip, to clip the unit into the inside of a pocket. The bottom garter belt clip was a function of the Hideaway knife sheaths.

So, my question is, can anyone recommend a custom Kydex sheath maker to do the minmalist design I’ve set out above?

PS : Kudos to Spyderco for crediting the design influence of both Fred Perrin and Mike Janich. That was a classy & mature thing to do. I hope those two gifted designers are getting a licensing or other fee from Spyderco?

Mods: Wheredid you move it to? I cannot find it in Sheaths . And I know I got several replies which I answered. They seem to have disappeared? Pls.advise? Thanx

Back