• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Want Someone to Make Custom Knife Design

I created a custom knife design a while back and am hoping to get it made. There’s plenty of flexibility in the design but the basics are as follows: automatic, clip point blade (preferably not a low quality steel), pick lock with swivel bolster, automatic button with lock, and a modern rounded design. I have attached the design and some references that I want it to line up with. If you know a place that sells a similar style, that would also be helpful.

If a coil spring is used, there is no need to make it a picklock or for it to have a swivel bolster.
The spring holds the blade in the open position for the button to lock it open.

Welcome Moosems.
You didn't fill out your profile, so we don't know if you are in the USA or the UAE. That and some info about yourself will help with better answers.

At 16 you should know that it is illegal for you to possess an automatic in most of the USA. Many other countries also ban them for minors.

If you are looking to get the knife built for you the place to ask is in The Exchange - Knifemaker Services Wanted. I can move this there if you want. Be aware that a custom built auto make to your specs will be very expensive .. especially with the guard release.

If you are looking to get one pre-made like your drawings then you will need to shop around a bit at knife shows with a parent. BTW, the first two images are not linked properly and won't open.

Here is te Virginia code:

Automatic Knives

Effective July 1, 2022, the possession and transfer restrictions applicable to any “switchblade” knife have been repealed. It remains unlawful to conceal carry such knives. Several statutes impose restrictions applicable to a “switchblade knife” 18.2-309 (transfer of weapons to minors.) In the absence of a statutory definition, the Virginia Supreme Court adopted a dictionary definition for such an item in the case of Thompson v Commonwealth, 673 S.E.2d 467 (2009):

Last edited:
In Texas it is legal to own an automatic given parental permission to my knowledge. If it were custom made, how expensive would it likely be? And yes, the hope was to get one built. To Bill, to explain it better, the design is just a modernized stiletto.

Ok, I know Texas has pretty much made anything but a howitzer legal to carry.

As to price, I won't quote what a maker will charge, but it would likely be $300-700 depending on the maker and the materials. Bill may have a better estimate.

Wouldn’t it be cheaper if they just modified the housing and the bolsters of a stiletto to match the design?

No expert here but it depends on who provided the knife to modify and hourly shop rate they charge for making modifications to an existing knife Your still looking at at Stacey's estimate cost range.

I think pick locks are only done on stiletto autos. If you can live without that, the DDR3-BL button lock kit with coil spring is pretty close to your design. You could start with that and then decide if you wanted a maker to create a different blade design for it and/or better steel.

Edit - sorry that does not have a lock - how about the Benchmade claymore?

Last edited:
The hope was that on the handle the button opens the blade with the switch lock determining if it will open of not and then the pick lock prevents it from closing instead of the spring.

The spring on a coil spring knife does not keep it from closing. It holds the blade open, and the button prevents it closing.

To get a quote the simplest way is to look in the automatic sub-forum or other places and send a request to them by email. Bill does excellent work on conversions and custom jobs.
Alternatively, you could post a tread in The Exchange - Knifemaker Services Wanted..

You mentioned earlier you might be able to move this to The Exchange - Knifemaker Services Wanted. Is that still possible?

Back