War hammers rule!

Seriously, I thought this was the most fitting forum for this. Am I the only one around here that is into war hammers? I have a CS War Hammer, which I customized (mirror polished hammer face, and satin polished spike...head held on with Gorilla Glue, as it expands and is VERY durable...handle coated with several layers of PlastiDip that also goes over the top of the eye and helps double-secure the head). It may not be as utilitarian as a tomahawk, but I think it is hard to beat as a weapon. I've smashed and pierced mine through wood, metal, concrete, etc., and the thing is still going strong (after 3 years)! Any thoughts?

therionarms_c601.jpg

Here is a neat looking reproduction based on an original German example.

....and, some modern day tools:
http://www.kooters.com/rockpick.html

n2s

I certainly think they are neat, and im sure it would be a wicked and effective weapon...just dont know what I would actually use it for...not that I would let that stop me if I found one cheap enough.

Not2Sharp..

Really would like to know the history on that 'S' Guard and bone handle on the Kulkri blade. That really woke me up.

Best
Dwight

Not2Sharp..

Really would like to know the history on that 'S' Guard and bone handle on the Kulkri blade. That really woke me up.

Best
Dwight

50663519thcenturyEuropeankhukuri1.jpg

The handle is stag, not bone; and I was later able to find a maching kora

533923StagmountedKora.jpg

Check my newsletter for additional pictures.

n2s

I got one of the CS hammers to do some demo work thru hundred year old plaster and lath. It is one wiked thing. Put nice holes right thru 1 1/2" thick plaster with two wacks. Good for dragging logs around with too. I havn't had the time to use it against plate steel yet but give me some time.

Patrick

Does anyone know of any other cool war hammers? I really dig mine, and would love to get some others! I'm also interested in maces (usable ones, not the fancy stuff) and different types of clubs (spiked or not).

CS made a mace also, I think they have stopped though. There are still some around but are drying up.

A hammer would be my weapon of choice against those pesky knights.:D I really dig em but there's no really high quality ones plus like said above...what would I do with it?

I'd like to see some of those high speed entry Hawks but with a hammer instead of a blade.

The crushing weapons (war hammers, war picks, and mace type weapons) were an answer to the fully armoured mounted tanks (late century knights). Helms, armour, and shields progressed to the point that edged weapons (especially the weapon of choice the sword) were nearly useless (except for the tip). The crushing power of a war hammer (all the force concentrated into a small area) enabled piercing or at least denting effects on heavy armour.

Imagine getting hit in the helm with a hammer. Your bell is rung and you have a metal dent poking into your skull. Not to comfortable.

Once gunpowder rendered most heavy armour obsolete, the need for crushing weapons was also not needed. An edged weapon such as a sword, axe, or tomahawk is the better choice on non hard armoured flesh to maximize wound potential.

That being said, war hammers and war picks are some of my favorite old style weapons.

Another modern day equivalent is a modern day roofing hammer with a synthetic handle. Actually superior in materials to what the ancients used in their hammers.

Some people carry hammers in their vehicle for self defense. "Hey I needed some tools for carpentry." is a great excuse for why you have a hammer in your truck...not that you would be asked why you have tools. A hammer is more stealthy than the ubiquitous baseball bat in the trunk.

A ballpeen hammer can be EDCed in your back pocket, under a vest or jacket.

Lol, true...not really what I meant though. I was meaning everyone in the world knows why a baseball bat is in a trunk. If you live in an area that frowns on self reliance...why advertise?

A hammer doesn't scream, "I'm in this car to beat down bad guys!" like a baseball bat does.

I really dig em but there's no really high quality ones...

Dude, check out the Arms & Armor link I posted above. You won't find higher quality anywhere, unless maybe you commision a custom maker (who has as much experience handling the originals as they do) with big bucks.

pole010_thumb.jpg

pole193_thumb.jpg

I'm a historic weapons fan (WMA) and have always gravitated to war hammers, battle axes, and maces. I think they are by far the most interesting arms used at the time.

I am also a big fan of axes, maces and hammers. being short they are more effective for me than swords.

I seem to recall the words of an old Swiss Mercenary "Swords are nice, but give me a hammer. For a hammer made the armour, a hammer can rend it"

One of the ladies I live with found a new use for one of the warhammers I made a few years back....cracking and chipping ice in the winter! the four pointed face is very efficient at that.

Ken Nelson
Iron Wolf Forge

I bought a CS War Hammer last week & put it together yesterday.

It's freakin fantastic!
I have no idea what I'm gonna use it for lol but for some reason I got
a kick out of it that I haven't gotten from knives I've bought recently.

BTW I did decided not to put the side plates on.
I like the way it looks better without them, and didn't feel like
getting the drill out and drilling 16 tiny holes anyway.

If anything, maybe I'll just epoxy them on.

Any thoughts on that?

I bought a CS War Hammer last week & put it together yesterday.

BTW I did decided not to put the side plates on.
I like the way it looks better without them, and didn't feel like
getting the drill out and drilling 16 tiny holes anyway.

If anything, maybe I'll just epoxy them on.

Any thoughts on that?

I would break out the drill. Are you kidding? Any excuse to use power tools is good enough for me. A power-tool/ weapon combination is unbeatable. That sounds like a great 15 minutes, time well spent.

I'll third the recommendation for Arms and Armor! I've got their mace pictured above and also one of their now discontinued warhammers and they are excellent!

I would break out the drill. Are you kidding? Any excuse to use power tools is good enough for me. A power-tool/ weapon combination is unbeatable. That sounds like a great 15 minutes, time well spent.

I didn't need much convincing, I guess.
I'm gonna get the drill now...

Thanks for the wise words. ;) :cool:

Back