Warmest gloves?

With winter coming I would like to buy the warmest gloves I can find.Any ideas?
Jocko

The best gloves for total protection weatherwise are neoprene gloves as used by scuba divers, duck hunters, and trappers. Totally insulative, waterproof, and windproof. Being made of a thin material, they also offer MUCH better dexterity than polar fleece liners coupled with Goretex. Downside is that they get clammy on the inside since they don't breathe. Also if you are doing heavy work with sharp objects, the neoprene is not as sturdy as a leather or nylon glove and tears much more easily. It is the stuff most computer mouse pads are made of. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jhtml?id=0005313

Cabelas has them for under $20. Cabelas also has BrushBuster gloves made out of a material called Triad that is supposedly a breathable neoprene. I haven't tried that material yet.

Neoprene gloves don't work well for me. I'm not sure why but I had some unhappy experiences with them kayaking in the arctic.
I find mitts to be warmer than gloves. The native inuit fur and hide stuff is amazing, but not too practical. Outdoor Research has a few varieties that work really well with very warm or moderately warm liners and different goretex shells. But you should seam-seal them to really proof them
BlackDiamond makes some extremely good gloves, but they are a fortune.

Having a couple of metal pins in my fingers which seem to take a set in really cold weather has caused me to explore dry/warm handwear extensively. My experience tells me that it is possible to find gloves/mitts that are too warm. If your hand sweats it will get cold.

What has worked best for me in winter hunting & working conditions is to use two gloves... an outer glove of Gore-Tex which protects the hand from moisture and wind... and an inner, or liner, glove of one of the high-tech wicking materials (Thermax, etc.). Cabela's has been a good source for both sorts of gloves. YMMV. :D

AJ

Years ago, when I would occasionaly ride my motorcycle in the winter, I bought a pair of snowmobile mittens. These were big, long mittens ( about halfway up yer arm ) with a layer of foam on the inside which was then bonded to a layer of acryilic pile. Similar to "tanker" mittens, I suppose. They were really warm, but rather impractical.

Thanks to all that answered my post!
I just ordered the gloves from Cabelas.
By the way we had our first hard frost and a little snow this morning!

Have some Manzella POlartec with Gore Windstopper. They are pretty good but I switch back to calfskin when work is involved.

I just want to give a thumbs up to Cabelas! I ordered my new gloves on the net on Monday and I received them yesterday (thursday).

Back