Warranty

I am very certain that I have read Nate's own words on here that he was resharpen his products free of charge as long as the sender is willing to pay both ways shipping and also to be willing to wait for this service as it may take some time. That said the rest of what I am writing beyond this word, are my own reasonable assumptions which seem to be quite standard among the few well-known knife makers on this enclave of the knife world:

- Any obvious and immediately noticeable defect in manufacturing and workmanship ought to be covered once the buyer receives his knife and notifies the maker immediately of his concern(s). I think that this is quite a moot point and extremely rare in case of CPKs, but it could occur as rarely as Halley's Comet!

- Any longer term claim regarding the integrity of the steel which is determined by the maker to be a flaw in the manufacturing process or something related to heat treat, should not be limited to an arbitrary statue of limitation. Obviously cases of malicious use, extreme abuse and intentional damage should be exempt from any warranty coverage consideration!

For full disclosure: I am a complete nobody and a well-known keyboard warrior :D

Thank you both for your input! It would be nice to here something directly from Nathan to clear the waters though!

I highly doubt i will ever have a problem with my Field Knives but it would be nice to know where the maker stands in regards to his warranty :)

Cheers!!

After watching what Nathan puts his knives through in his videos.....what are you thinking of doing with your Field Knife that would come close to that?

Just curious as to how you use your knives, heavy emphasis on the 'knife' part....

such weird timing- Nate and I were just discussing this a couple days ago!

Last edited:
I haven't formalized a warranty in most cases. Some knives, such as the Heavy Chopper and the Shiv, are covered for anything short of intentionally breaking it. I will replace, repair or refund. Broken tips are re-pointed, broken scales are replaced with a material of my choosing. So you can throw it, pry with it, use it to bust down a brick wall, it will not fail. <--- that's the rough use knives and I've offered it to early adopters of "regular" knives too, so the folks who agreed to be a guinea pig on new models are offered to return their knife at any time in any condition for any reason for a full refund.

On the other end of the spectrum is the Potato Knife, which is covered for material and workmanship only. It's fragile.

I don't believe in making indestructible knives because they don't cut well. A good design is a balance of cutting performance and durability to make a quality reliable tool that works well for a competent user.

Throwing a Field Knife won't void the warranty in general, but if you break the point off while throwing it don't expect a replacement - it's a hard utility knife, not a throwing knife.

The Field Knife is covered for batoning. That said, if you split wood with it all winter and wail on it mercilessly for days I wouldn't be surprised if someone could eventually break one. I haven't been able to, but I'm sure it's possible - it's 3/16" and HRC 62. And I would replace it because that's an acceptable use.

Cutting nails is not an acceptable use. I would cover a Shiv for that, but a Field Knife is a cutting tool, not a cold chisel. Yes, it will do it. But if you have a job breaking down pallets and you need to cut through a lot of nails, it wasn't really designed for that. The thick geometry and lower hardness required to do that well would be an unreasonable compromise in cutting and edge retention performance for that particular knife.

I make very durable high performance knives that will tolerate a lot of abuse, but I will not get into the "sharpened pry bar" zombie slayer market, it's already well served.

I like a common sense approach to this. If you're using your knife to cut copper wire, pry staples and baton wood these are reasonable rough use which is why you buy a good knife, so you don't have to worry about babying it. But if you're doing something really stupid and you break your knife, well...

I haven't formalized a warranty in most cases. Some knives, such as the Heavy Chopper and the Shiv, are covered for anything short of intentionally breaking it. I will replace, repair or refund. Broken tips are re-pointed, broken scales are replaced with a material of my choosing. So you can throw it, pry with it, use it to bust down a brick wall, it will not fail. <--- that's the rough use knives and I've offered it to early adopters of "regular" knives too, so the folks who agreed to be a guinea pig on new models are offered to return their knife at any time in any condition for any reason for a full refund.

On the other end of the spectrum is the Potato Knife, which is covered for material and workmanship only. It's fragile.

I don't believe in making indestructible knives because they don't cut well. A good design is a balance of cutting performance and durability to make a quality reliable tool that works well for a competent user.

Throwing a Field Knife won't void the warranty in general, but if you break the point off while throwing it don't expect a replacement - it's a hard utility knife, not a throwing knife.

The Field Knife is covered for batoning. That said, if you split wood with it all winter and wail on it mercilessly for days I wouldn't be surprised if someone could eventually break one. I haven't been able to, but I'm sure it's possible - it's 3/16" and HRC 62. And I would replace it because that's an acceptable use.

Cutting nails is not an acceptable use. I would cover a Shiv for that, but a Field Knife is a cutting tool, not a cold chisel. Yes, it will do it. But if you have a job breaking down pallets and you need to cut through a lot of nails, it wasn't really designed for that. The thick geometry and lower hardness required to do that well would be an unreasonable compromise in cutting and edge retention performance for that particular knife.

I make very durable high performance knives that will tolerate a lot of abuse, but I will not get into the "sharpened pry bar" zombie slayer market, it's already well served.

I like a common sense approach to this. If you're using your knife to cut copper wire, pry staples and baton wood these are reasonable rough use which is why you buy a good knife, so you don't have to worry about babying it. But if you're doing something really stupid and you break your knife, well...

Thank you for clearing things up Nathan! Like i previously mentioned, i highly doubt i will ever have a problem with the 2 Field Knives i just scored but was more or less curious as to where you stand on the whole warranty thing as i couldn't find any mention on your website or the forums :)

After watching what Nathan puts his knives through in his videos.....what are you thinking of doing with your Field Knife that would come close to that?

Just curious as to how you use your knives, heavy emphasis on the 'knife' part....

Dawkind, i will use the knives for light carving, feather sticks, very light batoning for smaller kindling, small food prep and general cutting tasks for EDC. I highly doubt i will ever have an issue, i am simply a newbie to CPK knives, couldn't find anything on the warranty so i though i'd ask :thumbup:

I will use the knives for light carving, feather sticks, very light batoning for smaller kindling, small food prep and general cutting tasks for EDC.

Hey EBP you are from Australia right? I remember reading it somewhere. And you can edc your knives? You must live near the country somewhere? Man i wish i could edc knives, but i am from Sydney city. I can only edc when i go to work but that is about it. Besides that i look for excuses around the house to use my knives.

Hey EBP you are from Australia right? I remember reading it somewhere. And you can edc your knives? You must live near the country somewhere? Man i wish i could edc knives, but i am from Sydney city. I can only edc when i go to work but that is about it. Besides that i look for excuses around the house to use my knives.

Yeah man i'm from 'straya :D I won't be EDC'ing the knife in public as it's illegal. I wish i lived in the country, i'm in the outer suburbs near Melbourne :( I'll be carrying the knife on my property and when i go on my daily walks out bush and camping trips :thumbup:

Sweet! Seems like you get more chances than i do! I dont live near any bush so i cant use them as much as i desire :( . Enjoy your 2 new FK's when you receive them! I am certain you will.

Just curious, where do the light choppers fall in the warranty scheme?

It looks like short of batoning the potato knife you're good to go for normal use.

The Shiv sounds really interesting- especially if I wanted to open up a Ford Pinto.

On a side note- A friend named Paul who had no common sense used his Paul knife to arc the starter on his car when it wouldn't start and remove the front door to his house when he forget the keys.

On a side note- A friend named Paul who had no common sense used his Paul knife to arc the starter on his car

He used his paul knife :D??
Sorry, i am genuingly curious, which knife did he use to do that, and open his house door?

That's a great post. Probably worthy of its own sticky thread.

Great to hear on the shivs as well. I had picked mine up 2nd hand, and although I don't abuse my knives like I would like to, it's good to know it will be covered if I can ever work up to mistreating it.

He used his paul knife :D??
Sorry, i am genuingly curious, which knife did he use to do that, and open his house door?
This small folder. I had one and he wanted one because it was the same as his name:

909_24892_1270065378_1.JPG

Paulie Roush was the living definition of insane.

Last edited:
Back