Warthog abuse (aka batonning the LBK)

I don't remember all the details of this knife, so I hope Christof will correct me if I misspeak here.

Christof calls it a SERE LBK, I call it the Warthog. Warthogs are compact, tough, strong-minded, and armed with some vicious tusks. This knife reminds me of the warthogs I saw in Kenya and Tanzania, hence the name. It's made from differentially heated 5160, 3/16" thick at the ricasso. It tapers from the ricasso to the tip and has a full "scandivex" grind. For a short knife it is fairly heavy. My neighbor--who is now afraid of me--stopped by while I was batonning with the knife. He hefted it and said, "it's heavy." He doesn't know much about knives, but he's right about that; it's a goodly piece of steel.

So, anyway, I've been wanting to abuse this knife a little to see how it would perform. I had a big beef marrow bone I got from the butcher's shop and an idea spring up in my mind--could the LBK stand up to batonning through a bone?

P8070170-L.jpg

First I tried batonning through some wood. Generally I like to use a piece of wood that is 1/2 as thick as the knife is long, but today I thought I'd push the limit a bit.

P8070171-L.jpg

This was old seasoned cottonwood that has been drying for the past year. The grain has a little twist to it making the job a bit tougher. I had to whale on this knife to split this big thickness. As you can see just the tip stuck out so I was pounding on the tip and the handle. (I was worried the that scales would be broken lose, but pounded away.)

P8070172-L.jpg

I ended up re-positioning the knife to take smaller sections of wood apart after I got the knife stuck in too deeply. I saved the split wood to take a picture with, but never did take the pic of the final results. You'll have to take my word for it that with some seriously heavy pounding, I got down to small kindling. After all that pounding, the knife was still cleaning hair of my forearm (I didn't test sharpness before the batonning, but I doubt it got sharper in the process).

OK, so much for wood. I fully expected a decently made knife to handle batonning a small log apart. (Although I really whaled on the tip of the knife and was pleased that I didn't damage the tip at all.) What about bone? I wasn't sure it was a good idea to baton a knife into bone, but I thought I'd give it a go. The blade bounced a bit, but bit into the bone. After a half dozen good whacks, the bone cracked in two (exposing the marrow). The knife had cut about 1/8", maybe a bit more, into the bone before cracking it open. (sorry for the bad focus)

P8070173-L.jpg

The knife's edge still looked good, and I could not feel any nicks or flat spots in the edge. The edge no longer shaved hair, but it did shave wood easily.

Next I decided to cut the bone lengthwise, both from the cracked spot and from the joint. This was much easier than the initial cross-batonning and the bone came apart relatively easily.

P8070175-L.jpg

P8070176-L.jpg

P8070179-L.jpg

Couple of pictures of the edge: the first after cross-batonning, the second after cleaning marrow and goo off and then stropping the edge. (My one complaint is that it took a good 30-45 seconds of stropping to restore the edge to shaving sharp--maybe I was just too tired from pounding on the knife. ;))

P8070174-L.jpg

P8070185-L.jpg

I don't know how relevant this 'test' is, but I was curious to know how well the knife would hold it's edge or suffer damage. It seems a little extreme, but I found it informative: the knife came through with flying colors. The edge held up really well--likely because of the both the geometry of the "Scandivex" edge as well as Christof's heat treatment of the 5160. I hit the handle several times and am glad that I'm not sending the knife back to Christof for re-handling or repair. Now cleaned up and stropped, it's ready for anything else I can throw at it...hmmm....

Yeesh!!!

LBK/Warthog= one tough and well made blade! Great pics!

Is that some trick of reflection in the first pic of the edge? It looks almost like it's suffered massive chipping.

Rotte,

Thanks a ton for the fantastic review and pictures!! That is one awesome looking blade :thumbup:

Is that some trick of reflection in the first pic of the edge? It looks almost like it's suffered massive chipping.

I see what you mean. Must just a trick of the light combined with some bone/marrow smudged on the edge of the blade, the blade remains unmarred. Some of the bluing is worn off, but otherwise pristine.

Awesome!

cow legs are a good one, I've taken some rolled edges and chips off of various production hawks and hatchets on steer femurs. bones that hold up half a ton all day are pretty tough stuff.

The only thing I'd change is that it's actually a full convex zero grind, not even a hint of scandi in it :)

and it's oxpho-blue, so you can touch it up with steel wool.

40 seconds of stropping isn't bad-- 5160 is pretty abrasion resistant. probably the hardest to sharpen of my common steels.

It's supposed to the be little, big, do anything, knife. Looks like it's doing okay at that.

yeah, I got scared for a minute, then traced the line of the edge with my finger on the photo and it was still smooth.

40 seconds of stropping isn't bad-- 5160 is pretty abrasion resistant. probably the hardest to sharpen of my common steels.

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek there. I was actually pretty surprised how easily the edge came back after whacking it through both tough wood and bone. 40 seconds of stropping is too easy; I thought I'd be getting the sandpaper out.

I can't believe I misspoke on the grind. :eek: Full convex it is.

oh, I figured it was tongue in cheek a bit. It's 5160, so it's not as hard as SV30, but it's a really good working steel.

That is why Christof is one of my favorite makers. As I have said before, I would not hesitate to grab a Koyote blade and head into the bush for a year or two... lol.

Wow...big workload for a small-ish knife. Great pics, too. Just got back from deployment and cannot wait to take mine out. Hopefully wont be too long. Will post my own pics.

that's why it's the LBK! It's little, but oh so big.

I hope you get some good decrompression time soon, and am of course glad you made it back safely.

Wow...big workload for a small-ish knife. Great pics, too. Just got back from deployment and cannot wait to take mine out. Hopefully wont be too long. Will post my own pics.

Welcome home. Looking forward to seeing your pics!!

Back