was just wondering

SIRGALANT

BANNED
gday guys.

i`ve never owned a CASE knife , and was just wondering , how do they compare to the likes of Schrade, Camillus , the older made in the USA Winchester , Queen , Schatt and Morgan , and Eye brand , as these are the brands i own as far as classics go.

regards

Sirgalant

Just my opinion, YMMV, but I think Case is a step up in finish from a Schrade Old Timer or Uncle Henry. But the old Schrade-Walden's were right up there with them.

As far as Queen and S&M, its touch and go. When they get it right, Queens are great fit and finish, but sometimes you can get a nail breaker, or a dull one that takes alot of work to "get it there". They are not as consistant as Case.

Eye Brands are very nice knives. I had one of thier stag stockman's and it was a beautifull knife, great finish, smooth operation, and held and edge very good. My nephew has the knife now. The nicer Eye-Brands are about up there with Case, but the working knives like the sodbusters are a little rougher. Looking at my yellow Case soddie next to my yellow Eye-Brand soddie, the Case is smoother finished, brass liners compared to the steel liners and some gaps here and there on the German knife. But the Eye-Brand soddie is just as rugged as the Case, has a heck of a spring with great snap.

I guess what I like about Case is they are an old line American company, and have great customer relations. Some years ago I sent them my dad's old brown bone peanut he bought in 1937. It was in worn condition with a cracked handle scale and main blade worn 50%. Case did a great job putting in a new main blade and replacing the cracked scale to the point of somehow matching the old faded brown dye very closely. I've been edc'ing the knife on and off, and now the main blade has developed a nice grey patina, you can't tell the knife was ever worked on. Still has crisp walk and talk. A wonderful lady named Shirley was my contact.

Since then I have really loved Case. You don't just get traditional knives, you get traditional service, with a real live person to talk to.

So far, touch wood, never had a questionable CASE.They are mainly recent knives and I am very impressed by them for their quality,range,choice and above all workmanlike aspect. IF I were going to a wilderness, desert island, gulag whatever and had only one brand of folding knife it would be CASE for sure. For fixed blade, would be Bark River though.

I'm afraid that I had a bad experience with Case. Had wanted one for ages, saw it as the quintessential American knife brand. Sprung for a sowbelly stockman with vintage bone scales. It looked fantastic out of the box but further inspection revealed a mushy back spring so it did not 'walk and talk'. It also had a deep 1" scratch on the main blade. Couldn't believe how bad the quality control was. Also, I'd bought it from a U.K. dealer, so rip off price, think double the U.S. dollar price.
Returned it and didn't buy another Case, it's been 3 years.
Still, they do look pretty and I'm always tempted. Would use a U.S. internet dealer next time though.
Is quality control good right now? Any outstanding dealers who double check the product before shipment?

My favorite user slippie is a chestnut bone Case CV trapper. Goes with me nearly everywhere. The biggest problem I have with it is that it pushes my other knives out of rotation. I have a really great Cozy Glen mini-trapper, and a canoe that I like very much, and an old Robeson, and a..... they all see very little pocket time because the Case trapper fills all the duties I could ask of it.

Edit: Mine was made in 2000.

*X*X*
Case XX
X*X*X

Thanks Sword, the urge is getting strong. I leave for Chicago later today, a week of fun in the sun (this has been the summer without sun in Blighty). Maybe I'll get to handle a few somewhere...

I bought a Case medium stockman from BPS and was very dissapointed. It was dull, dirty, and the smaller blade didn't snap when you opened it. I bought it last saturday. I still like Case though.

i have a small collection of traditional folders (about 150), by many different manufacturers (Case, Queen, S&M, Boker, Bulldog, Schrade, Camillus, Buck, SAK, Ka'bar, and others). Case quality is excellent and consistently so, which is not so for many of the others. spring tension is always right on, edge grind reasonable to v. good, f & f of liners, bolsters, handles, excellent.
their wide variety of patterns and handle materials and colors does not mean they are for collecting only (a view i have heard expressed at times). they are good looking but also great users in both CV and TruSharp. the seahorse whittler with a wharncliffe main blade is a favorite. however i do not specifically collect them. problem ? they are too popular. Case knives on ebay always get good bidding, too much competition for me. but it tells you that many others also are impressed with Case. roland

My favorite user slippie is a chestnut bone Case CV trapper. Goes with me nearly everywhere. The biggest problem I have with it is that it pushes my other knives out of rotation. I have a really great Cozy Glen mini-trapper, and a canoe that I like very much, and an old Robeson, and a..... they all see very little pocket time because the Case trapper fills all the duties I could ask of it.

Edit: Mine was made in 2000.

*X*X*
Case XX
X*X*X

Lol, my smooth chestnut bone Case mini-trapper in Tru-Sharp is guilty of the same thing. It has become habit to just slip that good lookin thing into my pocket each morning. I finally touched the clip blade to the fine stone last night. It was still pretty sharp. Just need to be brought back to really sharp.

My first and last (until now) Case purchase back in '96 was a "pocket worn" red bone canoe with the worst fit and finish I've ever seen on an American made production knife.

Last week I picked up a 2007 Case Crandall green bone peanut on the "bay" for a great price. It has the best fit and finish I've found in over five years on a new production knife. I can't seem to find a flaw on it. The blades are shaving sharp out of the box with a perfect mirror finish. No gaps, scratches, dings, etc. ANYWHERE!

CASE is back on my list!

Back