Washer Test

Here a useful test I made to determined which one of the many oils I had was the most suited as a rust preventative.
First I took 6 2" washers, stripped them of the galvanization on one face using a bastard file and leaving the surface rough to make rusting easier, then I glued them to a plastic support and noted down their position, so to always know which oil was on which washer.
I wiped each one of them with a new kitchen paper towel drenched in a different oil, and put them into my shower cabinet. I actually use much more the bath tub than the shower (like many italians :), but, no, I don't sing when bathing :)) but took care to open the tap on the "water mist" setting many times during the test, so that the washers got immersed in a hot water mist.
Here are the oils and the results:

1 Italian Army Special Protective Oil
Mil spec oil used to protect weapons and other precision steel devices.

2 Break Free CLP
Mil spec oil known worldwide and used by the US army.

3 WD40
Well known and widespread multi purpose oil.

4 Arexon's Yes
General purpose thin oil, excellent for unblocking metal parts stuck due to rust.

5 Spray silicone
Used to lubricate rubber gaskets and in the leather industry to make detaching of leather from forming presses easier

6 Unprotected

After 75 days here are the results:

1 developed just a tiny spot, the size of the dot on this "i"
2 developed several dots, the same size as 1's.
3 developed various discolored spots, covering with rust about 25% of the surface.
4 developed small rust traces, and was midly rusted at the end of the test.
5 developed immediately after the first mist bath on day 1 several discolorations covering about 10% of its surface, and was covered with severe rusting by day 75 on about 75% of its surface.
6 behaved as 5

Thus, the results are, from the most protective to the least protective oil:

1 - 2 - 4 - 3 - 5

With 1 and 2 being about the same, and 3 greatly behind.
5 was about the same as unprotected.

WD40 particularly is ill suited to protective functions as it's too thin and evaporates quickly. It's just great as unblocking and cleaning oil, and should be used for that purpose only.

From informations gathered when I was in the army from the local gunsmith NCO, who used both the italian oil and Break Free CLP, the italian oil was slightly more performant in protection, but lacks the magnificent lubricating properties of BF. I don't know if there are differences in resistance to handling, but I think they are in BF favor.

I suspect the differences between 1 and 2 were due more to the eccessive roughness of the surface, that may have left tiny unoiled spots, rather than due real difference in performance. I will perform another test with washers polished to at least 400 grit, including car wax in the test.

If you doubt that I was partial to the italian made oil, don't worry: I'm ruthless when evaluating what will protect my dear firearms, knives and swords from the dreaded "R" monster!
I use BF for everyday maintenance and use the italian oil only when I have to protect something for prolonged storage.
This way I save BF for the everyday use, which must guarantee lubrication as well as protection, and the protective oil for specific protective work. I have jus 1 litre of it and won't be able to get more, so I use it for its intended purpose only :)

Oh, by the way: many good rust preventative oils have active ingredients in them that absorb oxygen more easily than steel thus creating an oxygen free environment in contact with the blade and eliminating eventual oxygen particles that should get thru the protective layer or that were trapped in when the oil was wiped on (wich may happen especially in freshly ground steel).
They work about the same way lemon juice in marmalade does.

This oils, once opened, in the end lose part of their rust preventing properties, because oxygen in the air combines with their active principles neutralizing them. This is evident when you see the oil has got a different color (usually darker) then the new oil. This oil is still useful as it can still lubricate and protect, but it shouldn't be used for long term storage as some of its protective features are lost.

Beh, mi pare giusto che a farti i complimenti per primo sia un altro italiano_Ottimo lavoro,molto rigoroso. per la prossima prova, perchè non aggiungere anche un paio di panni impregnati tipo il Kleen-bore (perchè è economico ) ed il tuf cloth(perchè è buono)?

Interesting "field study". I would have liked to have known how Tuff-Cloth and Tuf-Glide would have stood up to the test too.

Originally posted by maxegb
Beh, mi pare giusto che a farti i complimenti per primo sia un altro italiano_Ottimo lavoro,molto rigoroso. per la prossima prova, perchè non aggiungere anche un paio di panni impregnati tipo il Kleen-bore (perchè è economico ) ed il tuf cloth(perchè è buono)?
Hehehe :) Grazie...
Anyway, maxegb wonders why I didn't include some oil cloths like Tuf-cloth and Kleen Bore.
Simply because I didn't have them at hand. I'll get them so to include them in the next test. I will pit BF and the italian oil against Tuf-Cloth, Kleen Bore, car wax and some other oils :)

Welcome, Alarion.

I would suggest to test CRC Marine 6-66 (or 66-6, I don't remember) too.

Max was faster than me to answer you. Who did welcome you when you joined the BF?

How many Italian people are in BF? I can count: me, Max, Alarion and Nathan (not an original Italian, but it is 16 years he lives in Italy).

Falcenberg

I have also found that (dehydrated) rice makes a good and cheap dessicant for storage of metallic objects. :D

I have an article in storage listing the affinity for water of various metals. I will try to find it, the author was suggesting either grinding or filing shavings of these metals, as they will absorb any water in the air, thus protecting your metallic objects...

I think that magnesium and copper were on that list, but I can't remember for sure. Any chemists on this forum?

A number of test reports have been posted using stripes on a single piece of sheet steel. Results seem to have a large random factor. Using washers is a good idea -- but how about using a number of washers for each oil in your next test? You can paint numbers on them to keep them straight. That would give an idea of how meaningful the results are -- for instance, if you test five or ten washers each with Break-Free and with the Italian milspec oil, will all the washers treated with the Italian stuff rust less than all the washers treated with Break-Free? Or maybe out of twenty washers the three with the least rust will be all one product ... whatever happens, we'll know more than we know now.

Falcenberg: Various people here and there, depending on the forum :)
I'll try marine 6-66 (it's like the 5-56, which I will have tot est but believe will not perform much better than WD 40 being the same type of cleaner-unblocker.

Swede79: It's not a matter of water. Water, per se, do not cause oxydation. It's on the contrary an extremely good preserving agent, as most river found sword blades demonstrate.
Oxygen it's the problem. Water can act as a corrosion catalyst in certain circumstances, making asier for oxygen to interact with steel, and thus high hunidity is dangerous, but what is extremely important is keeping oxygen away from steel. :)
Here is where electronegativity (the affinity of a certain metal to get electrons) comes into play. The more electronegative a metal the more prone is to oxidize. If it's put together with steel, and is MORE electronegative than steel, it will bind with oxygen instead of steel.
It's the same in marmalade, as said. You put some lemon juice in it, which contains LOTS of citric acid, which has an extreme affinity for oxygen. So the residue oxygen will combine with it, instead than damaging the fruit in your marmalade. :)

Cougar: I thought of it, but with only six washers I received countless bad stares and ice cold "How long that... things will have to inhabit the shower?" :p
Oh! The progress of science is often impeded by those who don't understand! :D

The idea of multiple washers is an excellent one. You could also simply repeat the experiment and thus check the stability of the results. This would also allow you to check the effect of such variables as position and such.

For materials I would also suggest mineral oil, it is a very common oil with many positive attributes and is cheap and easy to get.

You might also want to look at depth of penetration as well as just coverage. Take a simple rag and wipe down the washers and see how much rust can easily be removed. Also important would be the initial onset of rusting, when it happens for each case.

Nice work.

-Cliff

It also occurs to me the next time somebody does a test on a single piece of sheet metal he might do more than one stripe with each kind of oil.

Filing the zinc off washers sounds like a lot of work, and I'm not sure carbon steel washers that aren't galvanized are available -- but you could cut up sheet steel into little squares....

Clayton Hufford has done numerous tests of various cleaners, lubes, and protectants available in the American market, and posts his results over on the Glock Talk forum (www.glocktalk.com). You may want to have a look over there, too.

In summary, he found BreakFree CLP to be about the best, with others like Eezox and Firepower FP-10 close behind them. There are more on his list, but these are the ones I remember, as I have used them all myself (some on Clayton's recommendation). I seem to remember that Birchwood-Casey "Sheath" scored very high on protection, but it is not a lube or cleaner.

-- PG (split between Eezox and FP-10 at this point...)

Militec-1 is another very popular protetive coating material around here. I hope you can get some, but if not I could send you enough in a small envelope to coat a few washers. Let me know. You can read about it at http://www.militec-1.com

Rust onset was:
1 day for 5
about 6 days for 3
about 10 days for 4
70 days for 1 an 2

Position is not an issue as the washers where quite small and close together, and i rotated and moved the whole support periodically.
I'll repeat the test including new protective agents.

Great study and nice thread! I'm bookmarking this one for reference.

Dan

Here's a link to a specific thread on Glock Talk where many lubes are discussed: Lubes. There are, of course, many other threads on tis subject over there, but the same names are repeated over and over (both products and respondents. :))

Clayton is also a member of this board, as I've seen him here before. I think he uses his name as his handle. (Hi Clayton!)

-- PG

Back