Watch this space

A rounded point end mill would hollow grind it nicely. Given the apparent constant radius of the waves, it could have very well been CNC'd, which is just fine. Can one for the 42 handle be far away (maybe that's why it's 1/8"). As Dawkind has suggested, CNC makes 'em fast, once set up. All in all, very nice, but too dear for me.

Great pictures as always Chuck....thanks!

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Thank you all for the compliments. This was the most difficult knife to photograph. These pictures still aren't as good as I'd like. When I do get some great pictures of one of these, then you can all call me Ph. D., Doctor of Photography.

This thing is mirror finished on every surface. Even the wood has a glossy shine. There were times when I just wanted to scream! And that blade... it's a photograhic nightmare. But, I will keep at it once I get mine. This is one wonderful knife and it's going to keep my shutter going for a long time.

There are so many little details in this knife. Vance has outdone himself and he has outdone his teachers. A new king has just ascended to the throne.

My Lords and Ladies, Honored guests, Ladies and Gentleman, the toast is to Mr. Vance Collver.

Someone asked, "Did I flip it?" You bet I did! I won't be able to bring myself to flip my own so, given the opportunity, I'll flip the crap outta BM's prototype. How does it work? Prefectly. Smooth as glass.

Nobody has asked if I tried to cut with it. Again, given the opportunity to abuse BM's knife, of course I did. The double-hollow ground, zero-bevel grind with a mirror polish should be about the sharpest blade possible. So, I grabbed a roll of toilet paper, not that cheap stuff that's loosly wrapped on the tube so you'll think there's more than there is, but a dense, 1000-sheet roll, and not that soft stuff either. I'm cheap, so I buy the cheap, hard stuff (it makes a man out of you). Anyway, I held a brand new roll in my left hand and just sliced it with the knife in my right. This was not some wild muscle-and-force slach, but just a slice, not unlike how you might slice a tomato. Effortlessly, this knife cut cleanly through to the cardboard core. I'll post pictures of that shortly. This is the sharpest knife I have ever seen and I am told that there wasn't time to fully sharpen this one.

I'm glad that I did my sharpness tests after I manipulated it. I'd have been scared to death otherwise.

Everything about this knife has been carefully thought out. No detail has been left. Everything is elegant.

Someone compared it to Tachyon. Well, Tachyon and 49 are in different leagues. It's like comparing a Ford Mustang to a Lotus Esprite. A Ford Mustang is a great car, but the Esprite is better. On the other hand, the Esprite is four to five times the price and not many people use one as their commuter car.

But, I heard a really frightening thing today. Vance is already working on something for next year which is supposed to be even better...

Originally posted by Gollnick
So, I grabbed a roll of toilet paper, not that cheap stuff that's loosly wrapped on the tube so you'll think there's more than there is, but a dense, 1000-sheet roll, and not that soft stuff either. I'm cheap, so I buy the cheap, hard stuff (it makes a man out of you.
Ahh, but single or double ply?? :rolleyes:

I'm glad that I did my sharpness tests after I manipulated it. I'd have been scared to death otherwise.

When I read that you had flipped it, I thought you were either very brave, or very crazy! (maybe a little of both?) OR very, very good! ;) Because of the high mirror finish on the blade, it is deceptively sharper than one would believe on first glance (or 2nd or 3rd).

Chuck those are great pictures! I love the attention to detail you gave the photos! Do you have a few more white hairs now from trying to photograph this?? :) I do look forward to seeing pictures of yours when you get it!

Originally posted by Gollnick
But, I heard a really frightening thing today. Vance is already working on something for next year which is supposed to be even better...

Yeah? And as expensive? ;)

Chuck, thanks for the great pics, I can imagine the difficulty shooting such highly polished surfaces.
DD, thanks for your input on the manufacturing processes and Les's character.
I got a call today from Travis and my order for the -SPL is confirmed. WAHOOOO !!!!!
Thanks BM ---- :)

Hmmm, I wonder if I should try my "over the shoulder" with my 49-01...:eek: It would most like go through my hand (no kidding around this time) and I don't think I'll ever try that technique. I'll flip the hell outta mine but I will not do too many dangerous things, I need my hands and fingers. As soon as I get my 49-01 and a Dobruski then I'll start saving for Vance's next project!!! :D I think I'll just sell most of my knives (MT OTFs included :D) so that I can afford all these kick ass Bali-Songs and sweet custom balisongs.

Originally posted by Lothar. Am I the only one not seeing the pictures?

Nope...I never could find 'em either. I did see the piece on the BM website...but never could find Golnik's pics..

Damn...a bali with a wiggleass double edge blade that you can't really flip without losing a knuckle a day...and only 600 bux...
yeah...THAT could happen!

Back