water cooled platen

Hello ya'll. do many of ya'll have experience with those water cooled platens? How much do they help with overheating a blade while grinding? I have to be very careful not to turn color on the edge while grinding.

It will definitely help keep the blade cooler while grinding, but the most important thing would be fresh abrasives to prevent burning an edge. I have a water-cooled platen, but very rarely use it just because its' a little more cumbersome to swap tools with the water lines and bucket.

Their main purpose is to keep the belt cooler. This helps extend belt life.
It does make the blade a bit cooler, but that is a side effect. A mist spray setup is the best way to keep the blade cooler.

TIP:
The simplest and best way to provide the water flow is to pick up a used Breg "Polar Cube". You can often get one free from someone who had joint surgery or find them at yard sales and such for $10. They hold iced water and have their own pump system and supply/return hoses.

I didn't much think a water cooled platen would do much for keeping blade cool. I've often thought about a mister to help with cooling but have been concerned about the water mess. Perhaps it won't be as bad as I was thinking? You have the mist directed to the belt just about the blade?

I think I'll try a mist and see just how much mess it causes. Keeping the mist turned pretty low will help I'm sure.

Run the mister with 90-100PSI air and just barely any water. It will create a very cold and almost dry blast. You can raise or lower the two valves to get anything from a wet spray to nothing but dry air. Play with it a bit to get the feel of how it atomizes and vaporizes the water. At lower pressure (50-70PSI) it sprays a watery mist. At higher pressure 7(0-80PSI) it atomizes the water as a fog. At max pressure (90-120PSI) and very little water, it vaporizes it into cold damp air. This leaves almost no water on the belt and blades. It can literally freeze your fingers too!
The cheap Chinese clones are just about as good as the Kool-Mist system. I do recommend the actual Kool-Mist solution. A gallon will last a long time.

For the misting system, you'll need a decent sized compressor. The pancake sized ones are too small. I have one and it kicks on and off constantly, so I just quit using it. Burned out the first one I had. I now just use a flood of water, but I don't mind the mess, and in the summer it is quite enjoyable! Not so much in the winter.

I have a platen cooler for my 72" radius platen and a misting system, the platen cooler is to keep the platen cool to reduce wear and keep it from wearing belts too quickly. The misting system is for keeping blades cool while grinding. I grind a lot of already hardened and tempered blades so it helps keep them from getting too hot and ruining the temper.

As Stacy says, you need 90-100PSI and a good size compressor, I have a 120 Gallon.

The compressor has always been a concern since I've only got a small 5 gallon size. It works just fine for what I've used it for. It might work ok for a misting setup for my use since I don't make that many knives each year. I ordered a $19 mister from Amazon - item #B071DXGGP4 to try out. It should be here Monday. I'll try water first to see if I can get it working ok with my small compressor.

Thanks Stacy for the psi settings for working. I've wanted a large compressor to set outside with air piping ran around the shop, but like my desire for the Grizzly 2X42" grinder, just don't really have a need, just a "want it" itch.

mooniesdl3: it does sound like the water cooled platen isn't something I really need for no more grinding than I do.

thanks to all for sharing info.

Personally I use about 30 psi to get more water on the belt and less in the air... Otherwise my shop gets foggy lol

Personally I use about 30 psi to get more water on the belt and less in the air... Otherwise my shop gets foggy lol

That's what I was wondering/worried about.
I don't want mold and rust issues in my basement

That's what I was wondering/worried about.
I don't want mold and rust issues in my basement
I don't have any issues now really... But if that was a concern I would just run a dehumidifier probably

Like REK says, you can use lower pressure and more water as a spray. It works. I have seen a setup where the person put aluminum foil under and behind the grinder to catch the spray.

Try setting the air and water to get the best spray for your situation. It might just be a water spray, a mist, or ice-cold air.

On one of my earlier grinders that I used a water spray on I had a 24X20" stainless steel sink (trash pile find) mounted under the grinder. It caught all the grit and sparks as well as the water spray when I was grinding wet. I had it on a sliding slot so I could push it back under the bench if I didn't need as much catch area. The drain connected to a hose that drained in a 5-gallon bucket. I turned off the vacuum when grinding wet.

One thing I will add is the water spray or heavy mist can really muck up a vacuum system. It mixes with the grit and dust and coats the insides of hoses, pipes, and collection containers. It can also get back to the blower/impeller if you don't have a good catch bucket or spark bong. This is not a "don't do it", but something to watch out for.

One thing I will add is the water spray or heavy mist can really muck up a vacuum system. It mixes with the grit and dust and coats the insides of hoses, pipes, and collection containers. It can also get back to the blower/impeller if you don't have a good catch bucket or spark bong. This is not a "don't do it", but something to watch out for.
Glad you mentioned that Stacy - I'd not even considered the problem with a vacuum system running. I'll make sure to turn the vac system OFF when using the mister. Looks like it's to be delivered today.

Ameriblade answers my question nicely about does a water cooled platen help with keeping blade cool. "Attention: This will not effectively carry heat away from the workpiece being ground. For that, we recommend a mist coolant directly on your part."

Since we're not allowed to places direct sales links on this forum, here's the correct way to do it.
doing a google search on "Contender platen chiller AND mister" turns up Contender as the 1st link. Gets the job done and staying inside forum requirements.

Back