Recommendation? Water Jet Service?

Id rather be drawing on a beer coaster or napkin, but I'm at work. Please forgive the horrible sketch....

Your top one, but bring the edge back closer to your fingers as close as you can....and no choil

;)

I tend to butt in where I don't' belong..... haha. Sorry.

* I do like the idea of the finger guard, and you still can have the bolster merged with it...... (but Me Personally, i don't like finger, or sharpening choils) i know that is not a popular opinion. I just don't like them. I think they are unnecessary 99% of the time.
-and if it's Hard 4V.... You are NEVER going to wear down that blade sharpening it.... Might take over a Dozen lifetimes to do that. :D

EDIT if you got rid of the guard completely, I'd maybe want a little top/bottom palm swell to register into my hand?

Another edit.... For the record, I thick Either will look really good
Thanks Craig!

This knife is a clone of a Cold Steel Recon Tanto from back when they were made from Carbon-V steel. I've always liked those knives but never liked the powder coat or rubber handles - I just always thought the knives could look lots better - and should a true full tang...

I misunderstood your comment re: choil and thought you were referring to the finger guard. I am sure that the finger guard on the Cold Steel version was partly to give the strap on the knife sheath something to hold onto, as well as act as a finger guard.

Nevertheless, deleting the finger guard just looks sweet to my eyes, but I do have a concern for how the knife could be secured in a sheath without it?

The choil is there just because there was/is a choil on the Cold Steel version. I will draw up a version without the choil (just project the lower grip line forward and go from there?), and see what it looks like.

Last edited:
Id rather be drawing on a beer coaster or napkin, but I'm at work. Please forgive the horrible sketch....

Your top one, but bring the edge back closer to your fingers as close as you can....and no choil

;)
OK I see what you mean - let me draft a while and we'll see what it looks like...

Yep but that is a newer version and is hollow ground along the primary edge (Carbon V's were flat ground) - I'm just not crazy about the hollow grind or rubber grip.

This is a Cold Steel Carbon V Recon Tanto factory second I have. The powder coat is a little rough and the tip is ground a little off, so that is my guess why it is a factory second.

IMG-1942.jpg

IMG-1941.jpg

I've always wanted a real nice version of this - as previously stated, with a genuine full tang.

Last edited:
BTW, if you have the CAD file, any shop with a CNC mill can cut the profile.
Heck, they can even cut in the basic bevels and do the holes. They could do the guard pieces as well.

I will revise drawings for you guys and you can have them!

I am not a professional knifemaker - just a recruit! I do have a PHEER grinder and a Moen grinding jig but I have a little practice to do before I attempt this knife. I do have (4) 1095 blanks I plan to use to practice the grinds on this knife before I go wasting a good piece of steel, and if I never get there, I will be looking for someone to complete the knife for me.

I also have a fairly nice bench-top milling machine and moderate experience moonlighting in a machine shop running a manual mill - because I always wanted to be a machinist.

But I will draw whatever you guys want! :thumbsup:

Sir, I am total beginner. Tiny palm swell on the bottom of the grip I presume?
I like them on top so it supports the meaty palm of your hand (slightly forward of middle), but they are more common on the bottom where the fingers are, idk why?

It's funny how diverse handle shapes come...... One would think a handle would be comfortable to more people, since we all have hands.
but everyone finds something different

This is my final draft, for now...

I reduced the depth of the blade slightly and reduced the projection of the finger guard.
RECON-TANTO-CLONE-RS.jpg

As mentioned, I have a factory second Recon Tanto, and the handle geometry seems fine to me.

The story continues...

I contacted New Jersey Steel Baron and although they do not typically do one-offs, I received what I think is a superb quote, with one caveat... According to NJSB, Alpha Knife Steel shears their stock to size, so there is a chance, though small, that the material will warp while being cut via water jet. It is a .206" thick piece of CPM M4 and being the non-knife maker that I am, I am not sure that I could straighten it, if, in fact, it warped, or how best to do it.

Tangentially, NJSB also gave me a quote for a single 3/16" "prototype" (slightly thinner than the material I have) using my CAD drawing, water jet cut from "their" M4 stock, for less cost than I paid for the piece of M4 I already have.

So, I am mulling over the choices.

Back