water stones or diasharps?

hey guys. i just got some knew knives and really want to get some nice stones, and i really love the idea of using water on a stone, just seems so natural. One of my new EDC knives is a CPM 3V steel, and was wondering if something like water stones can handle it, or if i need diamond stones? Either way, can you guys recommend the best kind? I heard water stones are the most fulfilling, and diamond are the fastest. can i use water with diamond stones? any advice would really help, i can't wait to get something nice to use, but don't want to get the wrong thing. thanks for the patience.

It depends on what your goals are. If you look at sharpening your knives as a sort of relaxing ritual, then sure, the waterstones would be more "fulfilling." They will also get your knives sharp. The diasharps would be much more portable, practical, and a lot quicker, but like you said, not as fun! If you don't need to take it with you, and you enjoy sharpening, go ahead with the waterstones. If you just want to get your knives sharp, I'd go with the diasharps. Oh, and diamond sharpeners are not designed to be used with water. So if that's one of your main criteria, go for the stones...

thanks a lot, but what about the DMT whetstone? it says to use wet or dry.

You can use 'em either way. I prefer dry (with an occasional rinse under the faucet to clear the swarf). Others like using 'em wet. Your choice.

Dry works great, just don't press down too hard, rinse off periodically.

-Ron

cool thanks. so, i can use either with water? in that case, are the diamond or stones better? don't plan on carrying them, and the "fun" part sounds right up my alley. would the stones cut the 3V? or only diamonds will cut this steel? thanks again for the patience.

Both stones will work on 3V diamonds will just work faster. Water can be used on diamond stones but they work just fine without. I like the diamonds because they work faster and I tend to sharpen a lot of hard steels. I like water stones too, for the more traditional way of sharpening but there is more set-up and clean-up time involved and it can be messy. After 17+ years of collecting and sharpening I am finally switching over to all diamond abrasives for my sharpening needs... if that says anything.

Go with the DMTs... I've used my 6" bench hones (red and green) for a decade with no diminution in cutting effectiveness.

wow, thanks guys. hey, does it matter about interrupted or non-interrupted surfaces? just wondering what is better. i will only be sharpening knives. hope i am not too annoying, i'll post another thread for this?

Waterstones come in naturally mined and synthetic. The natural ones are not very well suited for sharpening modern steels that have different alloys. Best for carbon steel. The synthetic ones like the Norton, King, Shaptons do a better job for modern steels because they are made with the same type abrasives( ex: alum/ox) that are used in stock removal belts. I do love them for the easy clean up and they are enjoyable as "moving meditation" to blow off some steam. For me at least.

That said, I love my DMT's as well and they do a fabulous job and are versatile wet or dry as others have stated. Personally, I've noticed no difference between the smooth or interrupted faces in terms of aggressiveness. I actually prefer the smooth ones as they don't hang up or snag blades and are much cheaper. Then again, I've only snagged once or twice. Sharpening is really 90% technique and you can do with either. Hope this helps.

anyone want to comment on shaptons? haven't heard much anything about these, especially with 3v. thanks.

and are they harder, better to use? i really looking for the best, not only the fastest cutting. thanks.

Back