Water Stones?

Just got a bushcrafter in 3V would japanese water stones do a good job of keeping a edge on this steel ? thanks

I don't have anything in 3V, but my waterstones put a great edge on my sr-101 swamp rat and my moras. I haven't had the same luck with some of my stainless folders so far, but I think that is user error.

thanks ive never tryed water stones out and am thinking about getting a set

Some will work and some won't like King stones, make sure to read up on the stones before you buy.

Most all CPM type steels will laugh in the face of king stones, you would be causing more wear to the stone than the steel. I use a 1k & 6k Arashiyama but even those would be running the limits of effectiveness. Take a look at this write-up, it talks about 3v and waterstones. My choice would be obvious http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/wordpress/?p=713

huh maby a good set of Diamond stones would be better. most of my blades have scandi and convex edges

I really like my diamond hones but not for that grind style, its difficult to grind evenly. I'd go with the sigma 1k and 6k and call it a day, you will thank yourself later.

Sandpaper on glass is another option.

thanks ill look into those. where is a good place to pick them up?

I've had the most success with these Diamond bench hones:
http://www.dmtsharp.com/products/whetstone.htm

FWIW - I've never had waterstones but have heard a lot of positive things about them *as long as* the initial prep work is done on a diamond hone in advance (setting the angle properly before hitting the waterstones...lapping the waterstones to make sure they are flat...getting the knife up to a med-fine finish) - then maintenance on a waterstone is much more effective. Again, this is what I've gathered from customer feedback on Scandi-Grinds in 3V steel.

Dan

I think water stones are not hard enough except just to put a polish on the 3v. For 01 they work great.

Yes - your answer hit the nail on the head.

I have both/use both on Dan's 3v. I really like the 1200x waterstone for final polish but I find that for any real sharpening the waterstones have to be touched up way to often and the diamond stones are the way to go. Dan does a great heat treat on 3v and really brings out the steel's true merits but that also means its a bit harder than what many are used to sharpening. Here is a quick shot of a 3v edge sharpened on diamond stones and not polished with the 1200x water stone. If I would use a water stone at this point it would have a true mirror finish.

031.jpg

I am also willing if anyone needs proof to make a quick vid showing sharpening a 3v bushcraft with only a diamond hone xx-fine and then stropping and the knife will be able to shave a single hair. I have made similar vids for a couple other knives on my channel and its a good way to show just how well a literally hair-splitting edge can be had with just a diamond stone and strop.

Back