Waterjet cutting for knife blanks

can you adjust the depth of a cut? for example, decorative detail that would normally require milling/router work? a couple of examples i have:
-custom bloodgrooves on a blade
- milling a handle for inserts
- recessed head screw-holes, for example a 1/32 deep ring around a pivot joint?
- rounding off metal edges or handles?

I have a lot of ideas, and this would open up some possibilities for what I am looking for

I can do etching and scribing on the machine, but thats not what you need. You should look at a machine shop with a mill. If you can't find it, I have a local one I use every day. I hope to have a new Haas next year.;)

Dave are you going to stock 5/32 1095 in larger supply so you might pass on the savings?
I know we talked about me sending you my steel, but if you could off set the difference in shipping costs by quantity pricing in the steel itself, that would be cool, I know this could be a problem with all the different steels out there but it's just something to ponder on.

I'm going to need 10 more of the ESK blanks some time soon

and maybe a new design ..

Dan, I'll make some calls and see what I can do. I don't see a problem stocking some materials with as much business that this has generated. I have been keeping some ATS-34 and some 440C in stock. 1095 is not that much, so I will get what you need. Look forward to doing that design again since I already have the file;)

I can do etching and scribing on the machine, but thats not what you need. You should look at a machine shop with a mill. If you can't find it, I have a local one I use every day. I hope to have a new Haas next year.;)

i figured that would be the case. I guess i go back to researching how to make my drill press into a mill :)

I have decided to stock various sizes of ATS-34, 1095 and 440C for immediate use. I do have some titanium in stock also. I will look into stocking other materials based on use and suggestions. Just let me know what you need:D

that etching/scribing thing is interesting. If I wanted a piece cut from 18 Ga mild stainless with a bit of celtic knotwork etching in it would that work?

-Page

Hate to say this, but I have really never practiced artwork on etching and scribing. Just haven't had time. I have done some tool markings and simple stuff. It works pretty good for that. You have to play with the pressure and speed to get it right. I have some nice files of celtic designs. I'll try a couple of designs on some stainless this week and see what happens.

If it works I will draft a file to get a quote on, customer wants a stainless crown with knotwork, and the tricky thing is getting that shadowed look that implies an over/under weave. If this works I might have a use for it in sword baskets as well.

-Page

Dan, I'll make some calls and see what I can do. I don't see a problem stocking some materials with as much business that this has generated. I have been keeping some ATS-34 and some 440C in stock. 1095 is not that much, so I will get what you need. Look forward to doing that design again since I already have the file;)

thanks Dave
shoot me a good price, shipped if you would on 10 of the
ESK's in 1095 5/32" as before
TY

If it works I will draft a file to get a quote on, customer wants a stainless crown with knotwork, and the tricky thing is getting that shadowed look that implies an over/under weave. If this works I might have a use for it in sword baskets as well.

-Page

wow. I've done some knotwork carving in wax for casting, but stainless..... it's "just" filework, but I'd practice first.

I'd generally marke the lines of the knot onto the wax and carve away from there, then do the rounding and humps to make it look over under. But it's time consuming.

The response from this forum has been amazing! From the feedback from my customers, I think everyone is pleased. We hope to continue this for many years. I really enjoy this work! Thanks again.:D

David - did you get my email with a prototype drawing? Call me tomorrow on my cell. :thumbup:

Greatlakes, i have a design but i do not have it nor can get it down digitally. How would i get it to you? Also, could you work with 1075?

Sam, if you have a paper template, pic with demensions or anything like that, I will draw it for you. You can e-mail me or send it by mail. Yes, I just cut some 1075 x.125" yesterday.

Back