wave patent

ADV

Firstly I must say the Wave is a fantastic idea.Well done, Ernest Emerson.
I have been asked by a customer to build one of my knives with the wave feature.
I would like to know if I can request permission, or pay a royalty to use it.
Can anyone give me the specs on the patent or any other info
Thanks, ADV

Andre,

I just spoke to Ernest on the phone in regards to your question. This is quite a common question as I found out. There will be something soon in print/type that will sum this all up. Possibly posted on the website.

It is Emerson Knives Inc. company policy to disallow any use or liscensing of the Wave feature. This answer is given to EVERYONE, friend, foe, or otherwise. The reason is that the Emersons cannot set any type of precidence for reproduction or liscensing that could be argued in a court of law that could show any type of favoritism.

That is pretty much the long and short of it all. If there is anything else that I might help out with, let me know.

Take care,
Derek Russell

Thank you for your response
I would like to know about the info on the actual patent, as many knives with a large thumb ramp, could be made to open in this way.

Andre,

I did the search and here are the results that I found (in their long, dry and boring entirety- minus the images)

Take care,
Derek

United States Patent
Emerson
March 9, 1999

Self-opening folding knife

Abstract

A folding knife that is self opening when removed from a container such as a holster or pocket. The
knife includes a handle and a knife blade with the blade hinged to the handle for folding from an
extended, use, position to a stored position in a slot in the handle. A pin is formed on the knife blade
adjacent to the hinged end, extending away from the blade when the blade is folded. When the knife is
pulled from a container, the pin will snag the container just before the knife is fully removed, causing the
blade to unfold to the use position. Preferably, the pin is hook-shaped with an end extending along the
blade towards the blade tip. A releasable locking arrangement to lock the blade against folding while in
use and for releasing the blade when desired for folding is preferably included.

Inventors:
Emerson; Ernest R. (4142 W. 173rd St., Torrance, CA 90504)
Appl. No.:
Filed:
November 14, 1997

U.S. Class:
30/158; 30/143; 224/232
Intern'l Class:
B26B 029/02
Field of Search:
30/151,155,156,157,160,161,158,142,143 D8/99 224/232

References Cited [Referenced By]

U.S. Patent Documents
D228545
Oct., 1973
Beddick et al.
D8/99.
Oct., 1880
Grilley
30/155.
D321820
Nov., 1991
Russell
D8/99.
D365266
Dec., 1995
Hasegawa
D8/99.
D367599
Mar., 1996
Sakai
D8/99.
Jul., 1906
Watson
30/161.
Jun., 1981
Coder
30/161.
Jan., 1984
Morgan
30/158.
Jan., 1985
Slaughter
30/157.
Jul., 1989
O'Dell
30/158.
Mar., 1990
Reynolds
224/232.
Aug., 1990
Barnes
30/160.
Mar., 1992
Ennis
30/161.
Sep., 1994
Gaffney
30/160.
Jul., 1996
Seber et al.
30/160.
Dec., 1997
Chen
30/161.

Primary Examiner: Payer; Hwei-Siu
Attorney, Agent or Firm: Gilliam; Frank D.

Claims

1. A self opening folding knife and holster assembly, which comprises:

an elongated handle;

an elongated knife blade having a sharp first edge and a second edge opposite said first edge, a tip
end and a base end;

hinge means connecting said base end of said knife blade to said handle for movement between a first
position with said sharp edge abutting said handle and a second position extending away from said
handle;

releasable means for locking said blade in said second position

a slot along a side of said handle for receiving and housing said one sharp first edge of said knife
blade when said blade is in said first position; and

a generally hook-shaped projection formed as part of said knife blade and substantially coplanar with
said knife blade;

said projection extending away from said second edge adjacent to said base end;

said hook-shaped projection extending toward said tip end; and

a holster for receiving said knife, said holster including at least one inwardly extending abutment
configured to be engaged by said projection as said knife is withdrawn from said holster to rotate
said knife blade from said first position to said second position.

2. A self opening folding knife and holster assembly, which comprises:

an elongated handle;

an elongated knife blade having a sharp first edge and a second edge opposite said first edge, a tip
end and a base end;

hinge means connecting said base end of said knife blade to said handle for movement between a first
position with said sharp edge abutting said handle and a second position extending away from said
handle;

a slot along a side of said handle for receiving and housing said sharp first edge of said knife blade
when said blade is in said first position; and

a projection on said knife blade extending away from said second edge adjacent to said base end; and

a holster for receiving said knife, said holster including at least one inwardly extending abutment
configured to be engaged by said projection as said knife is withdrawn from said holster to rotate
said knife blade from said first position to said second position.

3. The assembly according to claim 2 wherein said projection is generally hook-shaped with an end
extending toward said tip end.

4. The assembly according to claim 2 wherein said projection is formed as part of said second edge
and has side surfaces coplanar with said side surfaces of said blade.

5. The assembly according to claim 2 further including releasable means for locking said blade in said
second position.

Description

FIELD OF THE INVENTION

This invention relates to a pocket knife having a blade that folds and that includes a mechanism for
automatically opening the blade when the knife is withdrawn from a pocket.

BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION

A very great many types of folding pocket knives have been developed in which a blade is hinged so as
to fold into a handle to cover the sharp blade edge when the knife is being carried and so as to be
unfolded into an extended position for use. The edge of the blade opposite the sharp edge is generally
slightly exposed and includes a notch or recess for engagement by a fingernail to pull the blade from
the stored to the open position.

Such knives may have one or more blades and may have other folding tools such as files, saw blades,
scissors, etc. A locking device is often provided to hold the knife in the fully open, use, position and
prevent the blade from accidentally folding the sharp blade edge against the user's fingers during use. A
button, lever, or similar device is provided to unlock the blade and allow it to be folded.

Opening such a conventional pocket knife is slow and requires two hands, one holding the knife and the
other engaging the blade during opening. This can be a significant problem where one hand holds an
object to be cut, such as a rope under tension, while the other removes the folded knife from a holster,
pocket or the like.

A number of different knives have been developed to open a folding pocket knife more rapidly. The best
known is the so-called "switchblade" knife, having a blade spring loaded toward the extended position
and a push button latch holding the knife in the folded position. Pressing the button releases the blade,
which springs to the open position. While effective, carrying such knives is unlawful in all, or most,
states.

Knives exist in which the blade is slidably held in the handle and is extended by sliding a button secured
to the blade along the side of the handle to extend the blade. These knives generally have relatively short
blades and are prone to jamming of the slide mechanism. Handles on such knives are not well configured
to the hand, generally being straight rectangles when a reasonably long blade is to be extended.
Further, the mechanisms for locking the blade in housed and extended positions are often not reliable
and may release in use.

Thus, there is a continuing need for an improved folding knife that will automatically open during
removal of the knife from a holster or pocket, that requires only one hand to open and that does not
require any manipulation of the knife during removal other than the simple withdrawal of the knife from
a holster, pocket or similar container.

SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION

The above-noted problems, and others, are overcome by a self-opening knife having a handle with a slot
along one side, a knife blade hinged to the handle at one end for movement between an extended position
for use and a closed position with the blade folded so that the sharp edge is housed in the slot.

A projection is formed on the blade edge opposite the sharp edge, the projection preferably extending
from the blade in the general plane of the blade near the hinge. The projection is configured so as to
catch on a container, such as a pants pocket, holster or the like, as the knife is withdrawn from the
container to pivot the blade about the hinge to the extended position for use. Thus, the knife can be
opened with one hand without any special manipulation of the knife.

Preferably, the projection is formed integrally with the blade, having side surfaces coplanar with the
blade and has a hook-like shape with the tip of the hook extending toward the blade tip. A releasable
locking means is preferably provided to lock the blade in the open position until the locking means is
unlocked to permit manually folding the blade into the handle.

Therefore, it is an object of this invention to provide a self-opening folding knife that is automatically
opened during removal from a container. Another object is to provide a self-opening folding knife that
can be removed from a container and opened with one hand. A further object is to provide a
self-opening folding knife that releasably locks in the open position when fully opened.

BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE DRAWING

Details of the invention, and of preferred embodiments thereof, will be further understood upon reference
to the drawing, wherein:

FIG. 1 is a perspective view of the self-opening knife in the partially open position;

FIG. 2 is a side elevation view of the self-opening knife in the open position;

FIG. 3 is a plan view of the self-opening knife in the open position from the blade edge side;

FIG. 4 is a front elevation view, party cut away, of the knife in a typical holster; and

FIG. 5 is a detail view, partially cut away, showing a coplanar projection and knife blade.

DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF PREFERRED EMBODIMENTS

Referring to the Figures, there is seen a folding knife 10 having a handle 12 with a blade 14 foldable
about a hinge pin 16 which extends through a hole 17 in blade 14. In the closed position of FIG. 4,
blade 14 is rotated counter clockwise from the position shown in FIGS. 1 and 2 and extends into a slot
18 along handle 12 to house sharp edge 20 of plate 14. At least a part of slot 18 may extend entirely
through handle 12, providing an opening on the back of the handle 18 through which water or debris
that may enter slot 18 during use can exit.

A projection 22 extends from the back side of blade 14 near the end of the blade that engages hinge
pin 16. Projection 22 is preferably hook shaped with an end 24 -extending towards tip 26 of blade 14.
Blade 10 is stored in a container such as a pants pocket, holster 32 or the like with the hinge pin end
furthermost into the container. Pin 22 is configured so that when the blade is withdrawn from the
container, the projection will catch on a container edge when the knife has mostly exited the container,
causing blade 14 to unfold about hinge pin 16 to the fully open position shown in FIGS. 2 and 3. Thus,
the knife is removed and moved to the operative position by a single, withdrawal, motion of one hand,
allowing the user, for example, to hold tensioned ropes or the like in one hand to be cut with the knife
held in the other hand.

Preferably, blade 14 is releasably locked in the extended position upon full deployment and removal from
the container. As seen in FIG. 1, a plate 28 along one side of slot 18 is fastened to handle by screws 29
12 at the handle end away from hinge 16. The end of plate 28 nearest hinge pin 16 is free and biased
slightly toward the center of the slot. The free end 30 of plate 28 is configured to lie alongside blade 14
in slot 18 except when blade 14 is fully deployed, whereupon the free end can engage blade stop portion
34 of the blade to prevent rotation of the blade to the closed position. As seen in FIG. 1, when blade 14
is further rotated slightly so that blade stop portion 34 moves just past free end 30, the free end motes
toward the center of slot 18, so that free end 30 and blade stop portion 34 are abutting and coplanar
to prevent folding of the blade.

An edge of plate 28 lies along the entrance to slot 18, so that the user may push the plate to the side
of the slot with his or her fingertips so that the end 30 of plate 18 no longer engages the blade stop
portion 34 (as seen in FIG. 1 with blade 14 partially folded) and the blade can be folded into slot 18.

FIG. 4 is a schematic representation of a container 32, such as a holster, for carrying knife 10.
Container 32, which could be formed from any suitable material, such as plastic leather or the like,
includes slots 36 for mounting on a belt or the like. Inwardly extending abutments 38 are provided at
the entrance end of container 32. Knife 14 is inserted hinged end first. A selected portion of the opposite
end extends out of container 32. A user can grasp the extended end of knife 10 and pull it outwardly of
container 32. When knife 14, is nearly out of container 32, pin 22 will engage an abutment 38, causing
blade 14 to unfold to the fully deployed position. Where container 32 is a pocket in clothing, such as a
conventional front pants pocket, projection 22 will snag the edge of the pocket, unfolding knife 14 as
the knife leaves the pocket. Any other sort of container may be used, as desired, so long as a suitable
abutment or adjacent fabric or the like is provided.

FIG. 5 is a detail view showing projection 22 as coplanar with knife blade 14.

While certain specific relationships, materials and other parameters have been detailed in the above
description of preferred embodiments, those can be varied, where suitable, with similar results. Other
applications, variations and ramifications of the present invention will occur to those skilled in the art
upon reading the present disclosure. Those are intended to be included within the scope of this
invention as defined in the appended claims.

[This message has been edited by Derek (edited 19 December 1999).]

Derek,

Do not take this the wrong way, it would be easy to do so.

Ever since the Commander's release, various Forumites, all the way back to KFC including myself, have praised this knife to the hilt, pun intended.

We have defended the Wave Opening when people called it a gimmick or said it would not reliably work, or it was a money making scheme...whatever.

And we have also screamed to the Heavens for Mr. Emerson to answer and to no avail.

Is there a clip point version of the Commander, with the same beefy construction and handle/grip profile and Wave Opening in the works? With the same blade to handle weight ratio that makes the Commander such a terrific opener? It would be nice to have one double ground as well. Since the Wave is Patented, if there is one in the works in the next couple months...what would it hurt to let the cat out of the bag? It will save me a lot of hand-filing time on a certain manufacturer's folder that I wish to open this way.

You are an insider, help us out.

Another question that has been asked a few times is, will there be a Production version of the CQC-9 Eagle?

I believe the Commander is the Tactical Folder. And for those that like a controlling blade, the CQC-9 would be wonderful.

The Lethal Edge indeed...

Don,

I was really bracing myself when I read your disclaimer line. No worries. I guess I am taking it the right way
smile.gif

I am sure that there will be more production pieces in the future with the Wave but...I sincerely have no idea as to what kind of time frame we are all looking at.

I do not have any info what so ever regarding the CQC-9. I would think that the CQC-8 (with the Wave of course!) would be a huge seller.

Hope this help you out some.

later,
Derek

Dream setup: a 4 inch bladed CQC7 with the Wave feature. Please please please Mr Emerson.

It seems like it takes a long time to get things into production, even a simple option like the wave but hopefully we'll see it on other models soon once Emerson realizes its popularity.

Jason

Ditto my vote for a production CQC8 with a wave, this would truely be the"one".

------------------
He who advances is sure of heaven-He who retreats of eternal damnation.

Back