Wayne Goddard, My good friend

Thoughts and prayers to the family. I remember how excited I was when I ordered a copy of the $50 knife shop, as I was just getting into knife making. He certainly made a lasting impact, and helped many of us along our way. He'll be missed.

So sorry to hear of his passing. So many people have gotten the bug for knifemaking from reading his books that he touched many people that may have never even met him. May he rest in peace.

His were some of the few books easily available as I was looking for information. I read them several times since my teens. Every few years I would rediscover them. He really helped to build interest in the trade. I never met him but he has my respect. I hope his family can find comfort.

Drink to the dead all you still alive. We shall join them in good time. Should you go crossing that silvery brook. It's best to leap before you look.

Wayne i will Drink one for you and yours,
your Contributions to the Knife world will never be forgotten .
See ya on the other side .

I still enjoy looking through the $50 Knife Shop and "the Wonder of Knifemaking" now and then. Not only did Wayne communicate an infectious passion for bladesmithing, he did it in such an empowering way. I didn't have &*%# back in the day but a couple of books, more or less of a roof to work under, a cobbled-together hand cranked charcoal forge, not even electric power other than a generator, and Wayne's words could really make me feel that I could hope to accomplish something nonetheless.
Nowadays everyone wants to teach everyone else about this craft... but things weren't always that way. Not only was he a great teacher but he set an example for others to follow, of openness with knowledge and embassadorship of the craft.
Rest in peace sir, and my sincere thanks to you.

It was August 2010 and Wayne Goddard had answered my question in his column in that months Blade magazine. He had taken the trouble to also email me the answer earlier too. I have read and re-read the $50 Knife Shop until the covers have fallen off. The Wonder of Knifemaking is nearly as tattered. These books and his piece in the first Blades Guide to Making knives titled the Making the Everyday Working Knife forever changed the way I thought about making knives. He showed you don't need $$$ of dollars of precision machinery to get started and turn out serviceable knives.
In his introduction to the $50 Knife Shop he said. "My experience shows that a sincere desire to make knives and a mindset of never giving up will will go farther towards attaining success than any "talent" an individual may possess". Wayne embodied this sentiment, he was a true gentleman and a great teacher. From a small country at the bottom of the world, rest in peace Wayne.

Back