Recommendation? We Knives Scamp

Do you think the WE Knife Scamp is strong enough to handle abuse?

• Yes, definitely!

• It's just for light use. (please tell me why!)

• No, admire its beauty but don't you dare to use it in the field.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hey y'all!

I've been looking for a non-locking folder for quite a long time and think I might have found it!
It needs to be non-locking for legal issues – two handed opening is even better.
Thus, detent and slipjoint mechanisms just fill the gap.

Now referring to the title, having watched kind of all the youtube videos for the Scamp, it just seems like the perfect size, especially as I'd prefer a slim folder that's the least obtrusive and most easy to carry but still offers more blade length than my Victorinox Sportsman (84mm version).

Now with 2mm of blade thickness and S35VN steel, I'd think it is able to handle "abuse" (as much as you can put on a slipper) quite well but nevertheless everybody seems to point out how it's just a "gentleman's folder" not made for "hard work". Is that because of the design and its beauty or is the knife really too weak to handle hard work?

Don't get me wrong, I won't take it bushcrafting but I still want it to fulfill daily EDC tasks without worrying that it might get damaged because of that. (but...it's 35VN! That steel is made to be used, right?!)

What do you think of that knife? Any experiences?

What kind of tasks do you encounter on a daily basis, for which a knife is the proper tool to use, that you think abuse a knife? "Abuse" is a bit vague and subjective. Are you asking people if they think it could be used to pull nails from 2x4's? Stab through cinderblocks? I don't have one nor do I plan to, but it looks to me as if it'll do what knives do just fine.

Yeah, it's true that "abuse" is subjective and of course I won't stab cinderblocks. However, I still wouldn't want to have edge rolling when I cut zip tie (because of the slim blade) or break the blade when I cut on something hard (accidently) or do some very light prying (it's S35VN, much better for lateral stress than other steels so I'd like to be able to do that) because the blade is not high enough and thus doesn't offer enough support...

oh yeah and..."hard / light use" is of course always compared to what it is: an EDC slipjoint blade. I wouldn't compare it to an Esee 6 for obvious reasons...
So just in comparison to other slipjoint knives.

I was wondering for example: Chris Reeves Impinda is seen as a slipjoint workhorse but then has the same steel and the same handle, just a wider blade – that's what makes me wonder what turns the Scamp into a gentleman's folder if the same materials are used.

Victorinox blades are even suitable for camping but use a cheaper steel so the Scamp should be even more suitable for this area...
Of course: breaking a Victorinox would not break the bank but a Chris Reeves Knife is seen as a work knife and is much more expensive so the price can't be the only reason.

Depends on your use .

But a SAK with whatever tools you like would be my choice for stuff best not done with a knife .

Back