We may have to give it up.

Thanks for understanding. The latest news makes me think the US might be getting serious and that's a flicker of good news.

If we put our mind to it there is no doubt that we can quell the Maoists. Next step is simply get rid of the government crooks whether the king likes it or not. Maoists and crooks gone, an open and fair election and Nepal will be okay. I think it will be more difficult to get rid of the crooks than the Maoists, however.

If I were in charge I'd tell the king it's my way or the highway. If it's the highway you lose it all. If it's my way you get to keep some of what you already have. Think it over.

I'm with SamuraiDave:

It may take messages with hidden meaning via snail mail to get them cash and to make sure they have everything that we can get to them to make their travel easier. But we can figure out something.

A small amount of money seems to go a long way in Nepal, and while I'm not rich, I'd be willing to contribute to a "relocate to Darjeeling" fund. If Pala and the rest were reluctant to accept "charity," then let them consider such donations as pre-payments for future HI products once they're back on their feet. That way they get the funds they need now in a way that they can accept with dignity. <br>

Before any one gives up. Let's see what the Police and Nepal's army can do with some new and more modern equipment. ,303 Enfields are just a bit outclassed by full auto weapons. That is what it sounded like they were trying to fight with. Good at long range but slow.

Take heart Uncle Bill. Not all is lost I don't believe. Even without Spec. Ops. help a major upgrade in equipment makes a World of difference. It looks to me that those Police and the army are sure not afraid to fight. We'll see. God knows I sure wish I could help.:mad:

PAPPY,
Problem is teaching!! Example: Friends(Spec ops) explaining some of the problems! In some poor countries when they need GOVT.troops, they hold a dance,at the end ,lock the doors state they need 20 recruits and point out who the lucky vol. are.Did you ever think how hard it must be to teach young men(16yrs. old)who don't want to be in the Army & can't read ,how to operate & range a mort.!
Or eveen read a map & record needed on the spot info??We do ,however have the best, "So the difficult they do right away! The impossible just tales a few seconds longer"!!
jim

You are right Jim. They have more problems than just the Maoists. Hopefully with a bit of Spec. Op. help things will not come out too bad.

Deposit sounds a nice idea to keep the business alive. I'll start to save some money up for an Everest Katana, and place an order with full deposit as soon as I'm ready. If the order is forgotten, well, it only turns a donation. Either is not a bad idea to me.

Originally posted by dhuff
A small amount of money seems to go a long way in Nepal, and while I'm not rich, I'd be willing to contribute to a "relocate to Darjeeling" fund. If Pala and the rest were reluctant to accept "charity," then let them consider such donations as pre-payments for future HI products once they're back on their feet. That way they get the funds they need now in a way that they can accept with dignity. <br>

You read my mind, Dhuff.

I'm sure Bill will let us know what he, Pala and the kamis decide. Then, we can take it from there.

S.

Originally posted by dhuff
I'm with SamuraiDave:
I'd be willing to contribute to a "relocate to Darjeeling" fund. If Pala and the rest were reluctant to accept "charity," then let them consider such donations as pre-payments for future HI products once they're back on their feet. That way they get the funds they need now in a way that they can accept with dignity. <br>
FYI - I suggested something similar in a thread about a week ago. Uncle Bill and Pala don't think that's a workable idea, because they might not be able to make good on such a deal. Of course, I'm sure the offer still stands if minds change.

If the US, UK and India get really serious there's hope. I didn't know about the 20 mil when I started this thread. That will go an awfully long way in Nepal IF we control how it's spent.

Let us all pray for some outside involvement/intervention. I don't want to give up yet.

I'm not going to offer any suggestions about moving, closing, or not, temporarily or otherwise, being much too far away from the situation to have a realistic perception of the situation and what the kamis and others are willing to do...but if there is any way we - your & their customers and friends - can help, e.g., with a loan to tide them over, don't hesitate to mention it here.

I'm really sorry to hear this. Seems to me that communism and it's derivitives have caused more suffering than any other human idea. :(

I agree with everybody else, let's not give up just yet. Uncle, you and Pala know best, but we here all want to do something to help. Whether they should be moved to Darjeeling, or just shut down temporarily until things get better, we all want to do something.

So...if Bill closes shop, does that mean there will be a rush to snatch up what's left?

Just speculating...

Hopefully, it will never come to that, and sometime in the near future we'll go back to getting Khuks the old fashioned way: cha-ching!

Bill,

Best wishes to all. It must be terribly frustruating to get messages like these and not be able to do anything about it. I go nuts if I feel like my hands are tied...

Dan

It's a combination of anger, sadness, frustration and helplessness -- not good for any of us.

Talking with Pala and getting the view from the trenches is very depressing.

It ain't over until it's over. You know that Bro.

At least give out before you give up.
Knowing that this thread was started before the possible US funding.

This just goes to show we are not alone in our concern. The Middle East and Afganistan may draw the headlines, but the people who need to know are looking out for countries like Nepal.. its just a shame it takes bombing the prime ministers home for them to do anything. However, they've got our attention now. Its a delicate situation like bill said.. if we go into Nepal with the aid of India, we may up set the India-Pakistan balance.. the China-India balance or worse.. the China-US balance.. international politics are messy.. but we have a good crew. Colin Powell is a great secy. of state and Bush isn't a bad president either.

Uncle,

It sounds like the best thing for now is funding (covert or otherwise) the Nepalese Army/Police, and sending advisors. Maoists and Nazis have way too much in common and it sickens me whenever any of that ilk gain a toehold in any society. Some money, oversight, and seasoned professionals would very likely clean up the mess relatively quickly. Prayers are still being sent.

I'd offer more than my best wishes if I could, but it's about all I have of any use right now. It ain't over till it's over.

Back