Weight difference between Micarta and G10 scales on the FK?

I think the Field Knife with G10 is heavier than the Micarta scaled versions, but I don't know by how much.

The other problem is the micarta versions I have are G10 lined.

So anyone out there with a really accurate scale able to weigh both or should I amazon a scale?

The Field Knife I just received with G10 scales weighs exactly 8.71 ounces. I have an accurate scale, but no micarta version to weigh. I hope this helps.

The scales on the Field Knife weigh 1.7 oz in micarta, 2.4 in G10.

Personally I like micarta better than G10.

G10 is often aesthetically better looking. It shrinks less, it warps less. It's more stable and you can achieve a better fit and finish with G10.

Micarta is lighter, plenty strong enough and in my opinion has a better feel to it. And even though it isn't quite as stiff and strong as G10, it actually wears much better. The glass in G10 makes it stiff and strong, but does not translate into better abrasion resistance.

G10 costs more, largely because the glass makes it abrasive to work with so my tooling consumption is much higher. But, in my opinion, micarta is probably the better material for the application despite being less expensive. So, when I design a knife it is designed with micarta in mind.

The difference can be pretty subtle. Both materials are very good or I wouldn't use them. So I offer a choice and there is nothing wrong with preferring G10.

To me, the Shiv is a brilliantly balanced knife. In it, the difference between the two materials is obvious to me. In other applications it's less noticeable.

So about 18.4 grams.

Thanks guys, not going to worry about that one at all.

I would categorize this comparison as enough to notice, but like you say, not enough to worry about. With one of each sitting side by side, I can tell the difference in both the weight and the balance. But, if I were to use one and then go out and use the other, or if the question itself had not specifically come up, I doubt I would ever notice the difference.

Yeah, I don't even have a straight micarta FK so I can't compare. I hate to say it, but I like my black handles to be black. Nothing wrong with black micarta, I have both buffed and unbuffed LCs but still like the depth and colour on the G10.

But if I really had the choice, wood. I have a few wood handled knives by Nathan, and I love em'!

Back