Weird Question

Has anyone noticed that there new none military grade RMKs dont and cant hold there edge like..well the older RMKs or military style knives?

I just sorta noticed this problem this year using a 25-5. I was always sharpening it...and it was always dull on me! So I tryed diferent angles..same same!

So with me fugacious obsessiveness I teseted out the rest o my blades on the most simple of ways... a platic cutting board!

Well!!! Guess what!??

The only knives that passed were the military style knives! Same edge, same stones, same me sharpining them...but my 89 14bp has maintained this test now for over 3 weeks and "about" some 70 odd meals...an she is still able to "pop" hairs of my arm with the grain! Why cant my other RMKs do it??? I cant blamb my self! All edges were maintained by me. All (except for oll 89..she got it worse) had to do the same job. So tell me why, only the models 1,14,15 and Spec 1 passed even the first day of trials???

Im stumped.

Mr. Johnson, Your stumpedness here would best be answered by Gary Randall. I would suggest you send the Model 25-5" back to Randall and if it has the problem you say, they will most probably replace the knife. Regards, Rhett Stidham

A Johnson,

Are all the knives you are talking about of the same type of steel? Meaning....are the blades O-1 tool steel or stainless? Or some of each? The O-1 carbon steel blades will definitely hold an edge longer than the stainless ones. Also they are much easier to sharpen in my opinion.

Rhett...."Stumpedness"? LOL:D

A Johnson, I also have a #25-5", and I've never had any problem dressing the edge or sharpening it. And it's stainless.

Perhaps you SHOULD send it to the shop and see what the guys can do. Good luck to you. :)

Back