Welding cable Damascus ?s

Tried my hand at welding up some cable this morning and had problems.
I Lack a welder and vice by the forge.

What are the tricks to getting a good cable weld?

First off, you need to bring it up to good red heat and flux the crap out of it, let the flux work a while at welding heat and then twist the crap out of it. Then wire brush it really good, flux it back up again, let it soak at welding heat and then hammer it with light blows keeping it round. Once you start to get a good solid weld, hammer the crap out of it at welding heats, Take your time and when you think you have it finish welded, work on it for another 2 or 3 welding heats. You won't hurt it if you keep it in a good welding heat range and don't over heat it. The last and most important step is to pray a lot.

Good luck,

Bill

Seems like I hear that a lot... Heat, pray, flux, pray, hammer gently, pray, repeat.

Anyone have any idea if anyone sells just lengths of welded cable, unforged? I'd be interested in trying some of this out (just got my new hammer from Bill Fiorini!), but my forge doesn't get into welding temps.

Darryl

http://www.centercross.com/ sells cable.

A heavy v block helps in welding cable also. In a v block each blow pushes in from three sides.

the other trick I know is a vice arranged at the back of the forge. do your twisting at weld heat in the forge. try it you'll like it.

Back