Well let's start! Hand Tool Knife WIP Thingy

Here's an updated pic of mine.
Going to do some final profile tweaks, smooth down the sides and get ready to bevel.
wlk3.3.jpg

I like that design,and it's not to late too move those pin holes.I would.

God bless,Keith

Did some more grinding today. I think it is pretty close to being what I want--slimmed it down some and it is much closer to my sketch. Balance is right at the finger notch and it feels lively, even with the weight (it's .25", remember). I don't think I'm up to trying a tapered tang so I plan to drill some big holes to off-set the weight of the scales.

Please, give me any opinions/suggestions, good or bad.

NSO4.jpg

Knife-v3_0.jpg

Oh, and what's the next step? Thanks!

I put in a couple new pin holes today and flat sanded the sides to 220 grit.
Should I flat sand to higher grit now, or should I start on my bevel and leave the finer sanding until after?

BTW, anyone heard from Will???

Mr. Bad Example
When you lay out and drill your pin holds, remember your outside contour of your handle,or you will grind most of your pins away.I put mine at least 1/4" or more in from the edge.Something to think about.
Jerry

Mr. Bad Example
When you lay out and drill your pin holds, remember your outside contour of your handle,or you will grind most of your pins away.I put mine at least 1/4" or more in from the edge.Something to think about.
Jerry

Jerry--that's a great tip--that would have been an unpleasant surprise for sure. Thanks!

I put in a couple new pin holes today and flat sanded the sides to 220 grit.
Should I flat sand to higher grit now, or should I start on my bevel and leave the finer sanding until after?

BTW, anyone heard from Will???

Good news on the pin holes--more centered, I take it? I would think it makes sense to get get the bevel done first, but take that with a big grain of salt. How far are you going to go before heat treat, anyway? 400?

Will seems to have gone AWOL--no logins since 1/30. Hope everything is OK.

Mr Bad, Same thing goes for the tong tube and the pins back from the forward end [if you plan on a radius or bevel on the forward end of the scales] Jerry

Any body know Will personally or someone who does? If so can you contact him or family and see what's happened? I've exchanged emails with him in the past, but nothing beyond that.

Any body know Will personally or someone who does? If so can you contact him or family and see what's happened? I've exchanged emails with him in the past, but nothing beyond that.

IDK--seems weird that he just dissapeared on the 31st after his 3,500th post. I've been tempted to call the phone number on his web site but thought that might be too stalkerish.

Perhaps I'll write an actual letter--would that be too forward? I don't want to impinge on his privacy.

Last edited:
I think under the circumstances, it's not a privacy invasion. I've become genuinely concerned, but prefer a more veteran forum member inquire. He and I have exchanged several PMs in the past with some of them about this thread getting going and the disappearance just doesn't fit his eagerness and enthusiasm.

Before you all get your hopes up here.. that number is a dud. I called, and the guy there dosent know Will. Apparently its an old one.

I did some digging and found wills wife on the internet. She hasnt been logged in since 2/11/2010.. regardless I sent an email her way explaining thet we're worried about will since he hasnt been on and Id be happy to convey a message to you guys here if she is in fact his wife. the same for his daughter/step daughter... who is harder to contact due to restrictions, but has been on recently. So. we'll see if either gets through to him. I hate to bother the mans family, but I think in this case its a valid reason.

Just an update on my progress.

The profile all cut out with the hacksaw.
100_0936.jpg

And after I finished with the pedestal grinder. You'll note there about 1/32" or more around the blade to work with. All in all im pleased with the grinder work and its pretty smooth and uniform lines as far as a grinder goes. I did change one area though. I wasnt happy with as fat and flat the front of the blade was, so I started a steeper angle upward to flatten it down some. It just didnt look right after I fattened it up in the second version. This should tone it down a bit upfront and give it a bit better lines there. So far so good here. Im thinking of using the redwood that burl source gave me on this one. And a bit of stain to redden it up some to what we call a "russian red" in the SKS world.

The ONLY thing I think i should've done before the grinding is drilling for pin holes. No biggie regardless, at this point as I can just vice it on the drill press. Thats the next step, then on to finish up the little bit thats not profiled in yet. Namely the finger guard area. The rest should some out with the edge or me filing out the grind marks.

Any input is, of course, appreciated.

So far theres been no contact from Wills family either.

100_0942.jpg

100_0939.jpg

100_0940.jpg

Looks good so far--I like the design. Is it for kitchen use? Is it OK to heat the blade as long as it is prior to HT? It looks like it got pretty hot in a couple areas.

Before you all get your hopes up here.. that number is a dud. I called, and the guy there dosent know Will. Apparently its an old one.

I did some digging and found wills wife on the internet. She hasnt been logged in since 2/11/2010.. regardless I sent an email her way explaining thet we're worried about will since he hasnt been on and Id be happy to convey a message to you guys here if she is in fact his wife. the same for his daughter/step daughter... who is harder to contact due to restrictions, but has been on recently. So. we'll see if either gets through to him. I hate to bother the mans family, but I think in this case its a valid reason.

Thanks for looking into this. My last contact was a PM from Will on Jan 22. I had sent a box of acrylic infused (stabilized) scales for him to send along to you guys with the steal and a block for himself. He was excited about carving the handle block on a planned knife. No word since then and I almost cringe at the thought of what may have happened serious enough to disappear him.

Looks good so far--I like the design. Is it for kitchen use? Is it OK to heat the blade as long as it is prior to HT? It looks like it got pretty hot in a couple areas.

Its an EDC more along wills lines. If it was up to me id have extended the blade out more say 2". I just didnt want to get too far over my head here, and im guest in this thread to boot as I entered late. The last couple I did were on a grinder and all just general choppers and machetes. Nothing special. Grind it, put a semi edge on it, and HT it. Finish up after with the grinder again and go out and hack down weeds. So nothing special in the knife world. This thread was a chance to see how you guys do your thing, while I can do mine here and learn. I was planning on making a set of kitchen knives in the future along much straighter simpler lines than these. Just thinner and straighter. I figure if I can make this pry bar I'll upgrade into a small kitchen knife then a bigger one after that, then a bigger one... Repeat until set is done.

To my knowledge the 10xx series of steels are forgiving on HT. Letting you try again if you've failed the first time. So grinding shouldnt be a problem to them in that regard. THat and grinding should only effect the surface of the metal. Most of my work has been done in 4140 ord grade steel. Ak-47 receivers, FN FALs, gun barrels and trigger internals. This is all kinda new to me. I can HT a receiver in 4140 according to specs for a build, but knives seem to be more of a science in that regard.

Thanks for looking into this. My last contact was a PM from Will on Jan 22. I had sent a box of acrylic infused (stabilized) scales for him to send along to you guys with the steal and a block for himself. He was excited about carving the handle block on a planned knife. No word since then and I almost cringe at the thought of what may have happened serious enough to disappear him.

I could call in some favors from friends in the area, but I think it would be best kept here on the board.

As is the contact I sent his wife is unread. If you have his address still you could look up a new phone number, or mail him a letter.

Maybe his computer just broke. Most of the time if something tragic happens they're right back on and posting about this or that. The long absences are normally due to no internet / no pc.

EDIT:
Just for S&G here I dig a bit more on his wife. Ive found a TON of information and contacts. I'll call her later on today and ask abotu Will.

I kinda feel like a creeper doing this...

Last edited:
Danjal, if it turns out they need a PC, I'd be happy to send one--that's my biz. I throw away (well, give to salvage) a hundred or more of them a year. So, a free Internet ready PC is available if needed :)

Pretty cool that you make gun parts. Back in the '90s my partner and I had a Title II manufacturer's license but all we did was convert some semi autos, make some SBS, SBR, and a few cans--no real gun making.

Last edited:
Mostly I modify to fit or makes ones that you cant find anymore. Im a hobbist/collector, not a buisness.

If thats the case witht heir pc I'll run it by them and shoot you a PM.

Last edited:
I posted on Will's wall on FB, has not seen a lot of activity recently, pointed him to answer in this thread. He has commented on others post later than his last post here.
Jim

I posted on Will's wall on FB, has not seen a lot of activity recently, pointed him to answer in this thread. He has commented on others post later than his last post here.
Jim

Thanks, Jim. I think we'd just like to know he is OK. If circumstances disallow his further participation in this project/forum that is certainly understandable--it's just his sudden dissapearance that is worrisome.

Back