Western Model Difference

Never found a Western 46 pattern listed in any of the Camillus catalogs or price sheets. Doesn't mean they didn't have some finished knives and/or blanks they got from Longmont CO. that they didn't use.
I know we don't do links here, but I've had no luck finding that particular listing on the bay. Could you tell me how the seller has the knife listed?

I apologize for the delayed response but I was out of town w/o inet access this weekend.

The listing was

rare vintage western one shot w46-8 fixed blade stag handle 1990

I had found it when I did a search of

knife western 46-8

It didn't show in my primary search results as the title did not have the word knife in it, but it appeared in the supplemental results with fewer word matches.

The W46-8 is a great looking knife or small sword.

pGDXH5L.jpg

Hey Zzzz, no luck with locating that H46-8. Maybe already sold or pulled for some other reason. Did see a few of the L66's with the stick tang. This caused me to go flipping thru some of the old Western catalogs.
1980 and 1982: The only knife offered in those catalogs with a leather handle is the L66. Everything else is either W, S, or H.
1986: In this catalog besides the L66 they added the L48 and the L71 as knives available with leather handles.

In all three catalogs under the description of the L66 and later the L48 is this disclaimer;
(Because of the special qualities of leather, this knife features single-tang construction). I got to wonder, what changed about leather?
The L71 just says that it was being made the same as the original WW2 knives.
Maybe this has something to do with the L46 going away sometime around the mid 70's and going forward as the W46?

Back