Wet forming sheath for a recurve knife?

I have a recurve blade (8") and a smaller Nessmuk style knife that both have leather sheaths. I would like to wet form and wax these sheaths like I've done to my other knives in the past. But I wonder if forming the sheath would affect the draw out of the blade due to their unique shape?

I have a recurve blade (8") and a smaller Nessmuk style knife that both have leather sheaths. I would like to wet form and wax these sheaths like I've done to my other knives in the past. But I wonder if forming the sheath would affect the draw out of the blade due to their unique shape?

Wet formed or not wet formed, the interior margin of the blade side welt has to be in nearly a straight line. The exterior margin of that welt can be as recurved as you want it. The mouth of the sheath has to be as wide as the widest straight line run of the blade and this must include the belly portion of the blade. You can wet form the outline of the recurve and the straight line welt would still allow easy insertion and extraction.

If this is on a sheath that is already made and it functions okay now, I don't see where the wet forming process would change any of that.

Paul

You ought to be okay wet forming that sheath. It will tighten up some but the knife will still slip through each direction.

Paul

Back