Wet moulding - Dyeing ?

Will using a vinegaroon cause the leather to be stiffer as well? Would grooning prior to wetforming be a bad idea?

Rooning before will be very very tough to get it to form. When vinagroon brings the tannins to the surface it's making the temper of the leather much more firm(and prone to cracking when making a fold). I'd always recommend roon after building but I'd also recommend using modern dye myself roon is far to easy to get wrong and cut the lifespan of your gear significantly.

Luke

OK , I'll show my ignorance and ask " what is Vinagroon and Rooning " ?

Ken

It's an old school technique using a mixture of vinegar and iron to create a mixture that I can remember the chemical composition of off the top of my head. I want to say iron acetate but I could be wrong there. It reacts with the tannins in vegetable tanned leather turning it chemically black rather than dye. It won't rub off and can have a smell like fish according to some guys. It's got some good properties but it's very easy to throw off the ph of the leather and conditioning causing a failure well before the normal life of leather.

Luke

Back