wetterlings or fiskars

After a BAD experience with a Stanely brand hatchet:barf:,only $20aus.Which is cheap I know,but I expected better than what I got.Sharpened it up,thinned the bevel a little,to about 30 degrees roughly.It felt soft filing it,but it got worse when I tried to cut a few 2-3" sticks.The edge just folded and rolled like I was trying to cut railway track:mad:.If it was hardened it wasn't much.
Anyway I'm now trying to decide between a Wetterlings and a Fiskars,cant afford a Gransfors:(.Does anyone have any info on the hardness of the Fiskars?As a lot of the wood we cut here is pretty hard and I dont want to be filing dings out of the edge all the time.The Fiskars get a good rap here and are a little cheaper, as I have to mail order the Wetterlings,so I was leaning toward that.Any advice would be much appreciated

I had a bad experience with a fiskars hatchet (edge on mine chipped really easily & i had break the handle maybe by misuse....) but i would try again since many peoples here like Fiskars axes.

If i have to choose between wetterlings & fiskars i would probably choose Wetterlings.

If you can buy a Fiskars at a local store it's a good option.

I have a Wetterlings Carpenter. Its reportedly 58-60 rockwell...it chops GREAT, I can confirm the steel is hard but doesnt chip, and I convexed the edge to the level that it can slice paper. Fiskars are good, but Wetterlings are in another category imho.

Yeah thanks guys,Everything I know about knives tells me the Wetterling is the better piece.The edge geometry is better IMO,and known hardness and steel appeal as well.The Fiskars looks too wedge shaped and the wrap around handle cant possibly split wood as well.Had almost talked myself into the Fiskars though they're cheapish,the handles are tough,and they seem pretty popular,but so are some knife designs I wouldn't give you two bob for.I'm down in Oz so,any tips on a good mail order crew?Fiskars,junk,and custom are about all you can find down here.

Faced with the same decision, I went with the Wetterlings. Something about a nice wood handle and rustic forge marks. I'm very happy with it:)

Back