Wetterlings Skinning Axe

This is my first Wetterlings, and I'm impressed. The Wetterlings Skinning Axe is a handy tool for felling smaller trees and chopping logs, and does a good job at most camp chores. It's hand forged in Storvik, Sweden. As a lot of people are aware, European goods have risen in price, and these Swedish axes are no exception: this axe was $25 a year ago, but now it's around $45. The item number is SAW20C. Check it out...
SAW20C.jpg

Handle Details: Wetterlings' axes are made of American hickory, as are most axes. Brown heartwood from American hickory, to be specific. It's 17-1/4" long and has a very nice grain structure. No knots; no splinters; no rough spots. It came sanded very nicely, and there were no sharp corners. The grain pattern on all Wetterlings that I've seen are in the right direction - running in a straight line, front to back, like the blade. There is a lanyard hole in the butt, and it's 1/2" in diameter. I probably won't use it unless I'm in a tree or something, but it's nice to know that it's there. The handle protrudes about 1/8" from the top of the head, and it's held in place with a wooden wedge and a metal ring to hold that in place. There was abosolutely no movement in the head / handle junction. The left side of the handle has the Wetterlings logo burned in, as well as GENUINE HICKORY.

Head Details: Another great Wetterling feature. They're made by hand by a blacksmith in a hammer forge press. The head is 6-1/4" overall with a 2-3/4" cutting edge. It weighs 1.5 pounds. As far as I know, it's made of Swedish high carbon (not stainless) steel. I don't know if it's 1055, 1095, some Swedish steel I've never heard of, or what. Whatever it is, it's high quality. The back of the head isn't flat for pounding; it's oval-shaped. The grind line goes about 1/2" back. The grind line and the back of the handle are polished, but the rest of the head is blackened from the forging and heat treating processes. The left side of the head has the Wetterlings logo stamped in.

The Sheath: The Skinning Axe comes with a belt sheath. It's made of brown leather and is riveted together. The sheath allows the axe to be carried handle-down and secured via snap closure. The belt loop is riveted above the rest of the sheath, and will accomodate a belt up to 1-1/2" wide. Unfortunately, it's just shy of fitting on my leather Dickies' belt.

I still have mixed feelings about the Wetterling axe. Yes, it's a great chopping tool, but is it worth the $50 I spent on it? I think so, and I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed. I have yet to get it outside and put it to work, but I'll have a few pieces of test criteria when I do. I want to see how the factory edge performs verus, say, a razor-sharp edge.

20c.jpg

Let us know what you think after you use it.

$50 is NOT much to spend on a quality Axe so if you think it works good then you definately got your money's worth. Conisder a GB in that size and you will be looking at about $100 MORE than the $50 you spent.... now THAT is alot to spend on an Axe.

Look forward to hearing how it works for you before and after sharpening.

Allway,s though the Wetterlings were underpriced compared to the GB axes, the oval and smooth on the back side of the axe is for pounding the skin from the flesh instead of using your fist.

White tailed deer are pretty easy to skin soon after they die, but they can be tougher to peel if you let them sit for a couple days. I used a Wetterlings to help butcher a deer this fall and it helped quite a bit.

It is too heavy and the handle is too long for me to carry while hunting; the SAW13 fills that bill quite nicely. But for camp chores & making meat, I like the skinner axe.

Last edited:
Back