Whaaa!

Today looked like a nice day to sharpen my Nemesis.

Off came the pivot pin. SNAP! Well, it's still off now. :(

Then it went to the Sharpmaker where not much happened. EdgePro to the rescue? Nope. Accidently scratched up the finish (Would rather do that using the knife, not sharpening it) and then found that the settings were too aggressive, at least for my upset state.

:grumpy:

Sent an email to Frank and, hopefully, he can hook me up with new thumbstuds.

Though, does repairing destroy it? After all, it would become a "fixed" blade after it's unbroken. Sorry. Broken-knife humor.

The Nemesis is a tough one to sharpen beacause of the thick blade. I scratched the finish on mine after the first sharpening. Do not use the 30 degree on the Sharpmaker. The sides will get scratched up. I used the diamond hones on the sharpmaker and finished with the grey stones to get it shaving sharp. Good luck.

I did a 30-degree back-bevel........

Very, very carefully.....the "backhand" stroke (I'm right-handed) on the right side of the blade was very, very tough to do to insure that the blade didn't get marred, particularly at the upturn.

Allen
aka DumboRAT

According to the man called Frank, a replacement thumbstud is on its way to my house!

With that, I can close my knife again and live with the "love scratches" as DumboRAT calls them.

Woo-Hoo!

Thanks, Frank!

Wait a minute.
I don't understand thombrogan's initial post.
Pivot pin?
Thumbstud?
What broke and how?
Especially how.

Regarding sharpening and scratches: if a person wants to retain the original finish on a knife, he ought not use it.
I have no problem with knives as collector's pieces.
However, all of my using-knives look like used-knives.
Sharpening changes them forever.
I can live with that.

Ken,

Pivot pin was probably a bad choice of words. I was using a hex wrench to remove the thumbstud. At first, the thumbstud just pivoted in a circuit, so I clamped the thumbstud that didn't take a hex wrench with a pair of pliers. With a little pressure, it looked as though the thumbstuds were unscrewing. Then, I felt/heard a snap and the thumbstuds spun freely. They had done so because the threaded pin that holds them together had snapped.

I thought these knives were me-proof. That thumbstud must have been a fluke.

The thumb studs act as the blade stops as well when closed.

Not sure they were meant to be taken off during a takedown but just unscrew to be able to replace them if damaged or worn enough eventually.

When I took the passive lock apart, by unscrewing it with the suplied wrench I had to do the same thing with the pliers on the other side to prevent it from spinning.

It came off and back on now, loc-tited the mating halfs and loc-tited the passive safety in the unlocked position as well.

Brownie

Thom,

That little passive safety was a real b%*ch to get off. The factory certainly makes sure the allens are tightened enough all over the knife.

The clip screws were solid as well but I got them off so i could loc-tite them back.

Nice to know they don't leave the plant just tightened where they may back out but it does make our job tougher to get them to release when we want to.

Brownie

Back