What a great knife!!! The Strider SMF NSN

I just received this folder, NIB. I am really impressed.

The Strider NSN marked smf's are only made for the marines. The Strider SMF was the first knife issued to an individual Marine Corps unit in over 60 years and the first tactical folder issued within the USMC.

In 2003 (I believe), when DET-1 was formed and their equipment being chosen, they decided not to use the traditional Marine Ka-Bar nor did they go with a dagger design as the Marine Raiders had been issued 60 years previously. Instead they chose Strider's SMF folding knife as their issued blade.

I have several other SMF's, so I am content to keep this NSN model completely safe and unused. It is quite beautiful in its simplicity. I'm not certain of the protective metal covering, but the entire knife, minus the black G10, appears very much like Parkerizing that I was used to when in the military years ago.

I give five stars to the Marines and congratulate them for choosing such a fine folder. Five stars to Strider also, of course.

StriderSNS2.jpg

StriderSNS.jpg

StriderSNS6.jpg

StriderSNS5.jpg

StriderSNS3.jpg

StriderSNS4.jpg

StriderSNS10.jpg

There are various posts and references to Striders being coated by PVD...a Physical Vapor Deposition protective layer. The entire titanium and blade, minus the G10, is coated with the same material in a process called sputtering, under conditions of high vacuum. The Vacuum Deposition insures a pure layer of film is deposited on the metal, free of dust and impurities which would be found in normal air. The Physical Vapor Deposition coating continues down the entire titanium frame-lock and pocket clip. PVD coating is as strong as they come, it will not flake off.
Sonnydaze

Dang Sonny, that looks very nice!
I always have in mind the problem i had with my Strider PT when i see someone posting a new Strider but man, i still do like the look on those bad boys a lot:)
Congrats my friend:)

Back