What a stand up guy!

Mr. Hunt is a pretty incredible dude. I don't post a lot, just creep the forums, and I loved the looks of his knives. I sent him an email about a Yuma and dropped some info that I've doinked around with making knives and just finished my first (TERRIBLE) knife and guess what he was interested in? It wasn't making a sale, it was supporting what I was doing. I was so discouraged by my first sh%tty knife I really didn't think I would go at it again but his interest motivated me to get back at it.

I'm reallocating funds to tools but I'll be damned if I don't support the guy that got me back in the game. Thank you very much!

Here is my first knife

PdGcdmF.jpg

It wasn't supposed to be a recurve.. doh!

Here's the one I'm working on now.

Last edited:
Fun stuff on my first knife. It was so abominably screwed up it made me never want to even touch another chunk of steel. It wasn't supposed to be a recurve, I just screwed up the plunge so many times I ground a good chunk off that area. The choil was supposed to be a sharpening notch. Hah! I meant it to be a full flat grind but freehanding it on a 2x42 didn't work out so it came out convex from spine to edge. I spent hours flattening the blade and handle scales on a piece of ceramic tile then apparently got a piece of debris in there that made the scales not flush with the tang.

My review-

Pro's- It cuts stuff. It fits my hand like a glove.

Con's- Every thing you associate with a good knife :)

Great story. Also, Like the knife. What's so terrible about it?

My dad was the first person I showed it to in person, the first words out of his mouth were "Wow, looks just like one of those $2 knives we used at the packing house." Which is depressing and ironic because I swiped one of his old knives out of his junk drawer to pattern the proportions off of :) Hey, they worked!

Also, I'm pretty sure that's the first positive thing I've heard about this particular POS, thank you very much!

It cuts stuff and fits my hand like a gloves are really the only things that matter. Todd is a pretty cool guy. I absolutely love my Yuma. It just takes practice and patience.

Grogimus, knife making effects each and every maker a little differently. I think you have already overlooked one of the most important things. The knife is comfortable and functional for you. Nothing else really matters. The fact that you learned things from making it never stops weather it is your first knife or its your thousandth. That's why is so interesting to me. I never stop learning and still feel like I improve with every piece.
I know what knife making means to me. I know its brought great reward and joy to my life and cant imagine not being a part of it. Along the way, there has been people that have helped me. Therefore, for me to not be encouraging and helpful to others that have that same love for the craft as I do to me would just be wrong. NO ONE should ever give up on something that they enjoy because there worried about what someone else will think about it. Do it to make you happy and do it to your best ability. If you follow those two simple rules, you will never fail, and for what its worth, your knives are a far cry better than a lot of other peoples first efforts, and the cool thing about it is like I said earlier, the more you make, the better they get.
You got my contact info........ give me a holler if I can answer any questions or help.

Thanks a lot for the reply and the email this morning. I think it's pretty amazing how far a little bit of encouragement can go. I'm not really an externally motivated guy but communicating with someone else enthusiastic about this in a direct manner rather than vicariously by reading but not participating in every knifemaking discussion board I can find was pretty dang cool.

Invariably all the family and friends I showed it to were like "Hey, cool, did you do that thing like they do with the samurai swords where they fold the metal". Well, except for dad but I probably deserved it for giving him so much crap for the new chicken house he built :D. It's just that they don't know much about it and when they ask how it's done their eyes are pretty much glazed over after a minute or so of hearing everything that goes into it.

Long story short, it's good to participate in a discussion with others that have similar interests rather than just read other peoples' conversations. Thanks a lot, and I'll be taking you up on those questions at some point :).

Back