What about 1V?

I like 3V quite a lot but would have objection about its wear resistance.

It is so wear resistant that I sometimes feel like it is more an annoyance (in termes of sharpening) than it is a benefit (in terms of edge holding).
Aknowledged 3V requires very little sharpening (but some people like to often touch up their edge and having to remove a chip -even unlikely with 3V- is possible)

Now during some internet search I ran into this:
http://www.crucibleservice.com/datash/toughglove.pdf
http://www.crucibleservice.com/datash/ds1Vv5.pdf

CPM 1V: aim hardness 57-59, as tough as 3V (even tougher) with about half wear resistance (still higher than A2).

Would benefit maker (less tooling wear) and user (at least people like me): easier sharpening.

Looks like it would be worth give it a try (or am I missing something?).

Cost and availability have held me back in the past...but I'm always willing to try out new steels. :D

This might be a good CPM replacement for 5160....where ease of sharpening and toughness are it's main features.

What kind of knife do you have in mind?

Dan

What kind of knife do you have in mind?
I'm rather a bushcraft guy, the idea came when I had to polish my 3V bushcraft, took quite a lot of time, so something that would retain most properties while being a tad less wear resistant has me interested. Plus the exotic steel factor...

...but I think it could replace CPM3V for anyone who prefer to be able to often touch up edge over the insanely long edge holding displayed by 3V.
Again, I'd be interested to see tough steels in thin blades.

How does it compare to 3V in terms of cost.
Does the fact it's less common makes it more complicated to purchase or have it HTed?

That said 5160 might be the answer. Not sure I've heard of any 5160 so far.

Last edited:
just spoke with Crucible....

gonna stick with 3V. :thumbup:

Nothing against 1V...but in a bushcraft knife, it can't compare to 3V.

Dan

Back