What about ebay?

I don't go to ebay so know nothing about it but I'm considering sticking a couple of knives up on it for sale.

The Bura Chirwa AK isn't going and I think it's because all the forumites who want one already have one. Do you think it'll sell if I stick it on ebay?

Comments and advice please. Do's and don'ts. Warnings and suggestions. All appreciated.

Bill,
Go for it. They have made it so easy, even I could post a picture of a tin toy motorcycle I have for sale right now. Love 'em or hate 'em, they are an easy way to get rid of anything. Just got a few new kukris on there recently that were "sleepers". I've seen some HI kukris on there before and am pretty sure they were sold w/o much problem. When you describe the pieces you're selling don't be shy. Give as much info as possible and that they are HIMILAYAN IMPORT pieces which says quality to those in the know...

It has a HUGE viewership! At least one vendor of khuks regularly puts up an item, and has links to his regular site, with other offerings there. Thus he vends one unit, and spreads the awareness through the link.

I don't know what the costs of operation are, however...so the cost/benefit would have to be up to you. Shipping is always taken as an additional cost to buyers. You may find HI's policy of including shiping to be of benefit to you as part of the offering, with appropriate caveats about overseas shipping.

The standard of offerings is generally in the POS range, with some rare exceptions.

Other considerations are: the spelling of the item (i.e., kukri, Khukri, gurka, ghurka, Nepal, Nepali, Nepalese).

I saw one ad, from a person in Texas, which described the khuk as a "Big ole knife with a crooked blade."

All these words factor in when a potential buyer comes in and "searches" for a specific word...either in title only, or "title and description." "Hand-made" etc...may also draw some folks to the offering.

You have talked about expanding your potential buyer universe...in that most of the knives you are selling seem to go to previous buyers.
eBay may help to spread the message, and give you more hits on the HI store site.

I think it would be worth the attempt.

Good fortune to you.

Kis
:rolleyes:

We're all in this together, somehow.

Uncle Bill if you do start to sell on ebay...I'll be bidding...ebay is a great way to move a product....everyone sees it...not just the people that come here or know you and the H.I product...

I'm going to have to disagree with you John. In my opinion Ebay is far from simple when you first get started. They have rules for everything! Hell it took me forever just to get my sale figured out what with the "buy now" option vs. the reserve price, and what happens is reserve isn't met. Selling historys, feedback, sellers emailing endless questions trying to get me to tell them my reserve price:barf: But I must admit once I had a friend who's a pro at it coach me it was okay.

When reading the above keep in mind I'm VERY impatient with lots of directions to read on websites and not too auction savvy so....

I imagine uncle would just put the knife up with the buy now option selected at the price he wants and be done with it so it might not be too bad.

1st suggestion--Look at the knives being sold
and see if you can tell who's selling high volume
with good feedback. Use their sales as guidleines
for your own.

I have done little on Ebay...........,

but my impression has been that
especially for an item such as this,
the more and better the pictures,
the faster and higher the bids.
Pictures of details of the khuk,
blade, cho, grip, sheath, more.
Include the blem.
Include a pix of HI mark on blade,
and maker's mark.

text:
Basic details of blade #1,
& "Sales" paragraph #2
This is what we sell,
this is where it's made,
this is who made it
(say something specific about
this particular kami),
and how it's made.
Maybe half a dozen sentences.

A link to a pertinent Cliff Stamp
review might help validate the blade
as not a tourist piece.

Maybe a link to the H.I. website too.

Set a reasonable Reserve so the winner
can get a good deal if bidding doesn't
take off, but you don't lose
too much by selling too low.
&
Set a 'buy it now' price similar to
the prices you offer here.

Lots of businesses seem to use Ebay sales
as a way to advertise their standard
business site.

Uncle Bill, I think it would be a good opportunity for you to sell some khuks on Ebay. It would be to your advantage with a higher end product to use the gallery which costs an extra .25 cents per listing, as it increases the visibility and bids for the item. I would also wait until payment is received from buyer, before shipping the khukuri.

Any questions please send an email.

Wolvesclaw

Unnca
Ebay is OK after you learn the ropes. I've sold a few things there with no problems. I would start with a small item or two to get the hang of the listing process. Then work up to listing the HI good stuff. Expect deadbeat bidders and no pays. Look at the feedback for bidders and sellers and its always caveat emptor. The Ebay transaction guaranty is virtually worthless so forget about any help from Ebay. DO NOT SHIP BEFORE YOU ARE PAID!

Not everyone is as honest as us forumites! :D

Dear Unk,

I think that ebay would be a good idea. Set your reserve at a little less than you would sell them, discounted, otherwise. I would think that you can sell best in the $25-$200 range, which seems your average price range anyhow.

I would NOT include shipping and handling in the price. Add $10 for the first item and offer to combine shipments if they “win” more than one of your auction items.

Also offer a refund if the buyer is not satisfied, (I see periods of refund from 3 to 14 days) but make them pay shipping BOTH ways. This is the usual ebay policy.

I suggest that you only sell items that you have on hand. If you are "expecting" a delivery and don't get it, ebay buyers can be damn unforgiving!

You and HI have exceptional reputations, you should be able to move quite a bit of merchandise. You already have the PayPal and I sure suggest that you use it, and be clear about that in your auctions. I have not bid on some items because I would have to go get a money order or certified check. I like PayPal and the quick ease of sending the money. Never had a problem.

Be very aware that many ebay buyers are not as honest as the members of HI Forum. I would never ship until you get paid. Not such a good idea anyhow. I think someone else has already suggested this --- I merely mean to second/reinforce it.

I would absolutely put in the link to the HI FAQs, but I think that putting in your website address, in the auction page, is a no-no. There is an “About Me” blurb that you can add on to your name that can, I think, have your website and shopping site.

You are more than welcome to use any of my pictures and I will be happy to take more for you. My pleasure!

I do not sell on ebay, yet, so I am not good at putting together the ins and outs, but I am sure that there are some people on the HI Forum who are very good and will help you.

Best of luck
Bill Marsh

Thanks a million for great help. Maybe I'll try to get something up this weekend when I have time to think about what I'm doing.

Sounds like it's a good idea. If you add links to the HI site and the reviews, and FAQ you can possibly inform people of your fine products.

Looks like Bill Marsh has a lot of experience with e-bay so I figure listen to him. It's free advertizement. sort of...

Could get you some new customers. I think it's worth a shot. I haven't looked there much, there's so much shite to paw through. If you haven't already, spend some time to look at the massive amount of junk you have to differentiate your quality product from! I agree with all cautions mentioned--the few I know who deal there are careful. If you do much there, you might want a separate e-mail address for e-bay --you might get a lot of garbage e-mail. I wouldn't put your phone # anywhere on the e-bay site.

Think of it as the world's largest flea-market/garage sale in a place way crazier than tourist Tijuana, and you'll be off on the right foot!

Hey Uncle Bill,
If you DO decide to put some khuks on EBay let us know so we can get in on the bidding too(maybe even drive the prices up, what with HIKV and all)):D
Thanks

One thing I can think of is that you see a lot of junk on ebay, including khuks. The people who can distinguish a HI khuk from junk blades probably will know about this forum.

And, sometimes I get a message from ebay stating that they did block an item for viewing on government request. So your audience may be bigger, but some people in more regulated coutries might be prohibited from accessing your page.

The others have already summed up the other valid points.

My 0,02 euro,
-Emile

Do's and don'ts...
Your item title is vital. Most people won't search using title and description. Too many hits most of the time. You've only got 2 lines, make the most of them. Use key words. If you decide on no reserve put "NR" at the end of your title. A lot of people don't like to bid on a reserved item. Some people search titles just for NR items.
Do use pix to your advantage. Clear and sharp.Good lighting, no busy back ground (so the rug shots are out). I've seen pix with a coin for scale. Lousy if you can't tell if the coin is a dime or a dollar. A plain old 12" ruler works best.

Description is a must. Make sure key words are used. These would be nepal, gurka ,kukri, handmade etc... At the bottom put a simple sentence that says "key words" then add all the variations of spelling and any other words not used in your description. If someone does a search and a word isn't in your title then it will catch them in the description. Double check your spelling and punctuation.

Make sure to point out that these are quality tools not tourist junk. Include your email addy with an invitiation for questions. And for gosh sakes answer them!! Quickly!! Give the answer and give them a link to H.I..Thank them for their interest and invite more questions.

Also put a simple "more knives available at" then put your H.I site.

Never ship before cash is in hand. If you take personal checks let them know they have to clear your bank before item will be shipped.
State that paypal is preferred. I would charge for shipping. Keep it as low as you can. I personally won't bid on a knife if I know the guy is trying to add to his profit through "shipping and handling" ...charging $8 when you know he's going to ship it usps for 1.75. Ins must be included to protect both parties.

If you use a reserve decide what the minimum is you'll take for the knife then add auction fees ,plus your time. Some people will ask via email what the minimum is...you don't have to tell 'em. If it doesn't reach the reserve you can still offer it to the highest bidder.
No bids or no reserve met I think you get to relist for free. Double check on that one tho...

Refunds...three day inspection period ( if they can't tell that it's what they want in three days they haven't looked at it). Refund of bid minus auction fees. Item must be returned in same condition sent.

Lenght of auction is a consideration...some people like 'em quick ( 3 days)...I think the 7 day auction is best. Everyone gets to see them and bid and you don't have the long wait of a 9 day. Start them in the evening or morning? I'v heard arguments for both...your call.

Shappa/Tom

Excellent suggestions. I heartily agree. I also think that this could be an excellent venue for selling HI Khuks.

BTW be sure that you do not ask for the buyer to pay the PayPal fees, whether there is a refund of the purchase price or for an outright sale, this is a no-no.

I wish I was more familiar with ebay as a seller because I would like to move some of the not-so-good stuff I have bought from there, with absolutely clear descriptions about what it is.

"El Cheapo Khukuris with Lion Head/Tourist/Bazaar, Save hundreds of dollars on a trip to India and haggling with natives. Probably is handmade, machines are not popular there, but I don't know. Have this stunning, rusty example of absolutely, authentic, lame-O tourist traps delivered to your door at my cost for shipping, plus whatever meager amount you want to part with. You will pay much more in India for one of these. Amaze your friends and startle your enemies! Starting bid $0.01. No reserve. You have been warned. PayPal preferred."

I really love the idea of selling junk, marked as junk with simlar descriptions as the no-good sellers are using! The ebay fees are very small and I think that this could be a lot of fun!

I have a few caveats to pass along about ebay and zapping fake sellers:

1. Be certain that what you say does not name any seller or eBay itself. (People should not even reasonably infer from what you have written that you are referring to any particular person or recognizable group of people.) So don't mention the many Chnese crooks selling there.

2. Do not use any copy of a photo for which you don't have copyright authorization.

3. Do not put up a critique of any purported fake that is not your own (it is possible to defame a person by defaming his possessions or his business methods.)

4. Do not give a comprehensive list of criteria for judging fakes. The fakers are watching eBay like hawks and learn quickly from their mistakes.

I would welcome any input by HI Forumites about being an ebay seller. I think that all of us could really benefit from this input. Uncle and our kamis could benefit. And we could have some new forumites.

Bill marsh

Ebay can be an excellent way to promote your business. Just remember that the average guy on Ebay has never heard of Himalyan Imports, and has no way to distinguish your knives from the typical Tiwanese manufactured junk. You are going to have to educate them at a very fast pace.

I would suggest a series of good professional quality pictures of exactly the knife you are going to deliver (think advertizing), and I would even go so far as to hire a professional copy writer to help with the text. Forget the comment about "more available" (it hurts your auction and can aggrevate the Ebay police), but add in your link to the main HI page.

If you do it correctly you will lose money on every knife you sell through Ebay. The cost of the professional photos alone will eat up your margins, and Ebay always cuts itself in for a share. On the other hand, you will make it up with a broader customer base and we will gain many new members on this forum.

n2s

I'll try to get something up this weekend when I have time to think about what I'm doing.

Take your time. You have much more to gain then the average Ebay Seller. This medium will reach hundreds of thousands of people, and it can either build or damage your reputation.

n2s

I worked my way through college as a commercial photog and would be happy to contribute digital photos to Uncle for ebay or any other purpose.

I have seen some excellent photo work by other forumites and would suggest that they would also be willing to contribute.

Let us know

Bill

Good idea I think. More for 'advertising' than moving items. Lots of good advice given already.

Here's an old draft for a khukuri I sold on ebay

http://www.cog.jhu.edu/~slade/temp/ebay_khuk.html

- I had a lot of interest and hits, so I must have been doing something right I think.

Good Title words seem to be: KHUKURI KNIFE kukri gurkha gurka gorkha nepal

Probably others might be able to think of more good title-words (but one is limited in the length of the title of course).

YOu should choose the photo-gallery option, it's not very expensive and is well worth the price.

Back