What angles for what EDC steels?

knarfeng

senex morosus moderator
Staff member
Super Mod
Howdy,
I've been freehand sharpening my EDCs for close to 40 years using natural stones and oil. I always "feel" for the existing edge angle and work to that angle. I've never really had a problem with my results. But all the experts say I ought to be using a guide. Maybe I don't know what I'm failing to achieve in my sharpening efforts. So I'm starting to look for what I'm going to try. I've also read comments about how a higher grade steel can be sharpened at a narrower anlge. But no one says what angles are good for what steels. Which brings me to my question.

My knives are VG-10, 440C, ATS34, and AUS 10. Think I've got some AUS 8, too. Most of the factory edges are at what I estimate is about a 20° angle. For an EDC pocket knife like a Native, what angles do you recommend?

And just for fun, what guides do you recommend to hold those angles? Not really interested in a Sharpmaker. I think I'd like something that would allow me more choices in angle settings.

all depends on your usage-pattern ofcourse and how sharp you feel your knives are when they're 'sharp enough for you', but i probably won't have to tell that to someone who's been freehanding for 40+ years.....

VG-10, 440C, ATS34, and AUS 10. Think I've got some AUS 8, too. Most of the factory edges are at what I estimate is about a 20° angle. For an EDC pocket knife like a Native, what angles do you

let's assume "regular normal use, 'really-sharp'-sharp (angles per side):

VG10 ......15
440C.......19
ATS34......16
AUS10......19
AUS8......21
440V.......13
S30V......14
ZDP189...13
BG42......13

that's more or less how i'd do it. i don't use a guide or whatever. i just sharpen consistently very flat freehand by feel. but...you can use Lansky and Sharpmaker-setups and the likes to guesstimate the angles.....

hope it helped any at all,

denn

But all the experts say I ought to be using a guide.

They are not experts, or at least not unbiased ones anyway. Mostly you are talking to salemen if you get that responce. A guide helps people early on because it reduces a large variable and it has some uses such as quick touchups, similar to steeling but using an abrasive to create a sharper/stronger edge.

For an EDC pocket knife like a Native, what angles do you recommend?

What do you cut and how? In regards to steels, not only the type of steel (ATS-34, 440C, AUS-10, VG-10 are all essentially the same in that regard as they are all ~58/60 HRC high carbide stainless), but the heat treatment. Benchmades 60 HRC AUS-8A for example would be expected to be more stable at a lower angle than AUS8A at < 58 HRC.

-Cliff

Thanks Dennis. It does help. As far as my experience goes, I think I get them sharp. I guess I want to see what I don't know.

Cliff, I cut all kinds of stuff with an EDC. Depends on what I'm doing that day. I might trim a rough spot on the end of a PVC pipe that I just cut with a saw if I'm doing yard work. Or I mignt cut open some packaging material if I just got back from the store. Or some cardboard if I need to break down some boxes. One day I was on a job site and needed to cut about 20 yards of heavy cotton duck material (don't ask). I didn't have scissors with me. My EDC did the job. I need a blade that is sharp, but stable.

I've no reason other than personal experience for suggesting this, but I use 15 degrees on my EDCs. That list includes Spyderco Delicas (VG-10), Natives (S30V), and a Manix (S30V), as well as several Benchmades in 154CM and S30V. I'm satisfied with the cutting performance of all of these knives for my uses, which cover a fairly wide range from warehouse slicing to wire cutting to campsite and woods walking chores.

I use an Edge Pro for reprofiling or serious sharpening and a Sharpmaker for touch ups.

Thanks Dale,
That's useful information.
Using a protractor and estimating the angle as I feel the knife sit on the stone, I think I've been at about 20°.

I'll find a way to try 15°.

Back