What are the best swords?

the katan is the best swrd but it has its draw backs..only the edge is hardend
so it can have a super sharp edge but its so hard it can chip...it cant take a full force blow from another sword like a long sword..it can stab but is ment for cuting and choping..I hope thats helps you =D

the katan is the best swrd but it has its draw backs..only the edge is hardend
so it can have a super sharp edge but its so hard it can chip...it cant take a full force blow from another sword like a long sword..it can stab but is ment for cuting and choping..I hope thats helps you =D

Ummm hmmm you do realize that the last post on this thread was six years ago right?

Now... how do you figure that the katana is the best sword again? The best for what? Tameshigiri? Fighting a fully armored knight in plate? Pruning hedges?

yes i know it was 6 years ago but we dont live in the medival times any more so the best choice sword would be the katana..but if you realy want a sword
to cleav a man in armor in half go for a hand-and-a-half sword or a viking
broad sword. but my choice is still the katana and i dont even know what
tameshigiri is so...ya.... :D

also the swords of medival France and England where case hardend and
cracked easly and the katans only had there edge hardend so if they cracked
it would only make a small crack along the edge and could be
polished out :D

yes i know it was 6 years ago but we dont live in the medival times any more so the best choice sword would be the katana..but if you realy want a sword
to cleav a man in armor in half go for a hand-and-a-half sword or a viking
broad sword. but my choice is still the katana and i dont even know what
tameshigiri is so...ya.... :D

We don't live in medieval Japan any more either so again I have to ask why is the katana the "best" sword and what is it the best at? Yes katana definitely get the most air time in movies because they have that "cool" factor but that's hardly a qualification as the "best" sword.

Look, I know it seems like I am picking on you but I'm truly not. Rather I am trying to get you to think a little. If you are going to make a blanket statement about something being the "best." Then you need to think a little about how you are going to back that statement up.

Now if you had said something like "I Okieforger think that the katana is coolest sword out there." or "I Okieforger think that the katana is the best sword for tameshigiri (traditional Japanese cutting practice - and I might not have spelled it right) then I would have thought "okay good on you." As it is, when you simply make an unsupported assertion... well...

Another few minor points. Although swords could do some terrible damage no sword is going to cleave a man wearing full plate in half.

Early viking swords were pattern welded not case hardened. Later swords were through tempered again not case hardened. European steel was of better quality then Japanese iron sand (tamahgane -spelling again probably) and therefore European swords did not have to be made using the same process Japanese swords did, they would be no more prone to cracking then a Japanese style sword and in all probability would be more durable.

If you are truly interested in swords I would suggest spending some time over at www.swordforum.com and/or www.myarmoury.com. There is a lot to learn and we are all learning. Good luck.

well what ever i jsut gave my thought on the supject so to each his/her
own. Omg i was kiding about the cuting a man in armor in half its an
on goin joke me and a friend have so lay off. yes i know steel in japan
was of a porer quilty the that of Fance and England. and yes i have
put a lot of thought into this and 3 years of of research kind of makes
a defrence on the mater but yet agen to each his own.

oh and myarmory i dont realy like there revews so what ever i put in my
thoughts.

thoughts.

Indeed. Good luck with your continued endeavors...

thoughts.
I believe that this post pretty well sums up Okieforger's situation. Please note the claim to have researched swords and then also please note the terrible grammar and spelling. Those, on top of his rather overblown claims, tend to minimize any regard that I might have for his opinions.

You tell one member to layoff, and tell the rest of us to screw off, and then wonder why we don't care about your opinions?

See ya. Probably not the forum for you.

Okieforger, at fifteen years old, I was a knowitall smartass, especially about firearms. I learned better as I grew up. I am now sixty-four and I am still learning about swords and firearms and expect to do so until I die. I suggest that you adopt that attitude before somebody tears into you, big time.

I know next to nothing about swords but I'm casually interested...that's how I got here this afternoon. I'm not here often, but I was wondering....Is responding to a six year old thread a new bladeforums record??????????

Holy crap!!! My stomach is still recovering from the incredible bump we just experienced. This might be the MOAB!! (mother of all bumps)
Also, if someone wants to put up the full gothic plate I would love to see some fool try and cut it in half with a viking sword.

Answers to this are arguable but my current belief is the Nihonto (Katana) is probably the pinical of sword development for the humam race. No other sword in history possess the level of development or understanding these do.

Having said this the overall picture is made up of many pieces the sword being but one.

Bors

Answers to this are arguable but my current belief is the Nihonto (Katana) is probably the pinical of sword development for the humam race.
Bors

As opposed to the sword development for Rats? Birds? Klingons?

Back