what are the one handed opening multitools?

Midget

Gold Member
I already know about the Gerber 400/600 series. I have one of those.

I'm also hold the SOG powerplier. So i've read on this forum, these models are supposed to be one-handed opening (open sort of like a balisong). But as far as I'm concerned, the pivot (or pivots) are stiff as hell. No flipping for me.

Plus, i ordered the SOG powerlock, and they sent me the wrong model (powerpliers).

But I'm not happy with the "one-handed" opening on the SOG anyhow.

I'm looking for a multitool other than the Gerber series that's one handed.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure what you mean by one-handed in terms of a multitool, but I do know the Leatherman Wave has one-handed opening blades on it.

sorry about the confusion.

"one-handed" as in having the ability to deploy the plierhead with one hand. tools that exhibit this quality include the gerber 400/600 model, where the pliers can be flicked out via momentum of pliers on a sliding mechanism. the SOG powerlock/plier is supposed to accessible by flipping the handles in a rotational motion, like a balisong.

these are the only two multitools that i know of where the plierheads can be opened "one-handed." i'm wondering if there are any more?

With a little working, my LM Wave is loose enough to flip open. It isn't smooth and fast like the SOG, but it is definitely doable.

Once you break it in, the Schrade Tough Tool opens by holding one handle and flicking your wrist away from you. As mentioned, my little Gerber compact will open with one hand also. It is amazing how many times at work I need the ability for one hand opening because my other hand is holding the work. :)

with a bit of oil, will the swisstool be balisong-like opening?
(hi to all the people I know from the time I was on the balisong section. not enough time this year to run on forums)

No way the Swisstool can be made to open one-handed!

With a little hand dexterity and sometimes the side of my leg to help, I can open both my LM Pulse and BuckTool one-handed.

Back