What are the origins of the sword cane?

Recently, I came into the possession of a brass sword cane.

I am curious as to its origins. Did it originate in Europe during Mediavel times, or was it earlier than that?

I was thinking that perhaps in the past it was rather fashionable for gentlemen from the upper crust of society to carry such canes.

They probably didn't want to soil their image by having an offensive weapon on them, otherwise the ladies might not bestow on them the kind of respect which they think they deserved.

Who knows better?

During the Med/Ren era, it was quite fashionable for a nobleman to wear a sword and/or dagger.The European cutlures and their derivitives only recently became emasculinated. A lady would have seen a gentleman wearing a sword as at least well dressed, and at best ready to defend her honour. No real stigma attached to the practice, though, of course, certain sorts of behaviour would be frowned on. A bully is a bully, regardless of when and where he is, if you follow.

The oldest examples of sword canes I've seen are from the mid 18th century. The wearing of swords seems to have been fading out towards the end of the 18th century, and the carrying of parasols, canes, swagger sticks, etc. was coming into fashion. I suppose it was a natural enough transition from sword to sword cane.

I, for one, would like to see the wearing of swords again becoming socialy acceptable, if only for that certain romantic flair. However, I also believe that the duel filled a rather important niche in society and justice. I think we would be a better and more honourable people if we revived the custom.

Not because it is good to draw blood or kill; but because it would bring a new level of accountability for our actions. It would place the good and honest men in a better position to deal with the worst sorts of people who have free reign to wrong anyone in any way they choose with little fear of consequences. What is that they say, an armed society is a polite society? More than that, I believe, as many do, that there are certain crimes for which imprisonment is not a strong enough punishment.

I tend to imagine, though I haven't got the books to prove it, that the idea for the sword-cane probably originated in the Orient, somewhere, since it seems to me that this area of the world developed the smaller, thinner blades necessary for it slightly earlier than the west. That, or it was one of those cases wherein distant cultures simultaneously spawned an almost identical notion. I do know that sword canes can be found in various styles back into at least the mid-17th century. I did learn that much, before I foolishly allowed my opportunity to slip away...but that's another tale.

I am familiar with oriental "Banker's Canes", which were often topped with ivory or jade carvings. These, however, became more prevalent, if I recall (I foolishly did not absorb enough during my months of tenure as an apprentice sword-cane maker), during the High Shogunate period, as moneylenders and changers were still prohibited from carrying the traditional blades of the Samurai class.

As for WHY swordcanes developed, they were very much the equivalent of today's concealed handgun. As the open wearing of weaponry fell out of fashion, or in places that it would be gauche to openly wear a sword (at court, for instance), it allowed the bearer to remain confidently armed, without disturbing the emerging middle-class sheeple. This middle class, while used to short blades and comfortable with them, oftentimes saw longer blades as an icon of the aristocracy and it's past control. Thus, as the middle class grew, societally, into a major force in trade, it became wise to play to their attitude and forsake wearing a sword (else one might find his prices raised, or a merchant simply unwilling to trade with him!). Still, only a fool would be caught in the evening streets of any town unarmed. Conversely, the swordcane allowed the less-privileged classes to arm themselves, when long blades might otherwise have been denied them by convention or edict (as in the case of the Banker's Cane, mentioned above). Thus, the rise of the sword cane.

Hope this helps you to get a start on the background for your piece. I'd be very interested to see pics of your piece, Golok, if you have them.

Hi golok WE custom make swordcanes at our shop in South Africa. If you go to our site at www.swordcane.com you will see all the info you need about swordcanes in general and our swordcanes.....hope it helps

Back